Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ideas for Efficient Production

What are some time management tips that you give to your students?

When I give my demos, I list the components on the whiteboard and have them decide (with a bit of guideance) the order in which to start production. I have them write down the order with a timeline so they can refer to it and try to keep on track.

To be aware of the plating time, start with the tasks that take the most time and then work your way thru the recipe as needed.

Walter,

Time lines are definitely critical in production classes. Sometimes students think that a task will take less time than planned. On other occassions, a student can take a very quick task and make it stretch out for the entire class period. Initially, it is best to have the instructor set time lines. Then, as the class progresses, student can come in with their own timelines and battle plans.

Jae Gruber

When I do my demos, I let my students know when I am saving time to complete dishes. I always try to minimize time spent along with saving pots, pans...

Lisa ,

Good thoughts. It is true that one must not only teach cooking as a Chef Instructor, but also organization skills, time saving techniques, practicality and working smarter, not harder!

Jae Gruber

I believe this is a good way to safe time. haiving them wirte a time line and stick to it with teach them to manage their time. Good way of keeping the students on track.

Kim,

Initially the instructor may have to set the timeline, simply because some people have never made a product before and do not know how long it takes to accomplish each step. However, as the class progresses, the student should be given more and more responsibility for not only the end product, but the development of the plan to achieve the end product.

Jae Gruber

The day before each of our kitchen labs, I go through the recipes with my students so I know that we have a similar base of understanding as far as what each recipe is asking us to accomplish. I then assign as homework the task of writing a prep/time management list to use during production to keep each student organized and on track, in an attempt to help them learn about the best and most efficient ways to work in a kitchen, with plenty of multi-tasking and cleaning as you go built into their day.

The Prep List. For individual line set up to plated banquets and buffets, the prep list is the one constant throughout the culinarians' career. As a time management tool, it is indispensable. I emphasize how good the students will look day two of their externship as they will be able to reproduce the prior days set up and mise en place.

June ,

You make some very good points. A prep list/mise en place list is essential to student success in the classroom and in their future career. There are some students have never had to plan a major (or even minor) task in advance, so it is helpful if the instructors guide them through the process or give them a form that shows an example of a well executed prep/mise en place plan.

Jae Gruber

Michael,

It is a good idea to go through the recipes with students so there is no room for mis-interpretation. Prep, mise en place, and production timing are skills that students will use while they are in school and throughout their career. Initial guidance and even a standardized form from the instructor can assist the student in developing organizational skills.

Jae Gruber

I have a timeline on the whiteboard for them to refer to as they are working so as to see if they are on task. I also call out to them at 15 minutes prior to clean up ( we do not have plating every day in my particular class). They are told to manage their time wisely at that time so that when it IS time to stop they STOP and start cleaning up. They lose points if they do not comply.

Always first is a good prep and write the time line. Not only cut the perp , everything in the right spot, in that way you dont loose time runnig
from corner to corner in the kitchen .

Thank you for the class you shoot right about the chef instructor need to go back to the industry and look,learn and practice the new trends.

Lourdes,

Prep lists and time lines are so critical. It is also important that they learn how to save steps and trips to the walk-in or pantry. Students are sometimes surprised that they are responsible for their own organization! Thank you for your kind words!

Jae Gruber

I demo how to set up an effective work station that focuses on efficiency and flow. I also have a time line on the board for the production class and I require the students to have a product list,timeline (mental mise en place) prior to them starting any cooking.

Kelvin,

These are all excellent practices. An instructor can tell students how to set up an effective work station, but showing/demoing is really what makes the difference! Your methods of mental mise en place are excellent as well.!

Jae Gruber

I tell students to start items with the longest cooking time first so that if they have a time limit that product gets started immediately and be cooked thoroughly by the time they are ready to plate. Always have a production prep list/timeline as a guide to keep them on track.

The prep list
Buffrt and Catering is a class usually at the end of study and just befor externship. The students had many classes where a Prep list was required.
The Instructor still needs to guide the students but they have to produce a plan.

Karen,

Students definitely need guidance as to what items take the longest, what to start first, how to get several items started at one time, and in many other organizational/multi-tasking facets of the kitchen.

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities