Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Selecting Teaching Strategies

What teaching strategy will you incorporate into your classes? Briefly discuss the potential benefits this will provide to both you and your learners.

I will amend my teaching to include all methods of learning at one time or another during a lesson. In this way, all students will have the same opportunity to learn.

I love the two suggestions that allow an instructor to determine learning types at the beginning of a class rather than figuring it out as you go along. I think that those ideas will help students to be more engaged. It has been my experience that when things are changed through out a class it can seem sloppy, and the students don't respect an unprepared instructor.

I plan to try using the how do you learn a hobby idea to help students realize what type of learners they are and how to improve in their current studies.

Beth, class preparation is so important. Inexperienced educators think they will intuitively know what to do in class, but that is not true. A prepared educator is an excellent one.

Michele Deck

Incorporating the strategy of how to learn a hobby is an excellent idea. Students relate well to ideas familiar to them. I often use association to instill terms and other more difficult things to the students. By relating learning an enjoyable experience with them, we can show the student easy techniques to approach their learning style.

I have a small class that is music oriented and I never realized that they could benefit from song incorporated into their lesson. I plan to use song/tunes to help them remember material. I think it will make learning fun for them. I could relate to all the types of learners mentioned as I have had all of them in my classes at one time or another. I plan on using all the suggestions and strategies in my classroom to enhance my teaching skills.

therese, thank you for seeing ways you can adapt these ideas to your classes. I'm glad you are connecting with the use of music.

Michele Deck

I really like the learning a hobby strategy. I will be using that strategy on my future classes.
I do use the "Draw the pig personality test", found on the internet, as an icebreaker for my new students. It's a fun way to see if their personality matches what was drawn.

Holly, the pig personality test is indeed a fun and positive way to get your students thinking and interacting.

Michele Deck

Inviting learners to continue learning when not in class is a technique I do not currently facilitate. The students form study groups at school, outside of school, and online on their own. Giving directional support/structure and acknowledgement for these student sessions may hold unexpected benefits...it's worth a try!

I will start asking the students to keep in touch and let me know what they are doing in their careers. I also like the sending a postcard to yourself in 3 months idea.

Lisa, it's nice to follow up and see the entire circle of learning occur.

Michele Deck

Gayle,
I think that study groups outside of the classroom is a great idea as well. I find that many times if I can't reach a student, another student may have some kind of trick or different way to retain the information. I also think that it is important to follow up with the group to ensure they are staying on track with the curriculum and not going overboard. The only negative aspect I have run across is that not all students are capable of partaking in group learning. Family, work, life in general sometimes can overwhelm them nad maybe they just need some me time.
Amy

I think I may try the group homework idea. I may have the groups think about different types of test questions and answers and have each group create a different quiz or part of a test. May be interesting to see how they do. I have had students create jeopardy questions and play. That can be interesting but I have done that in class, not outside of class

Colleen, asking the students to create the questions as well as playing the game creates two opportunities to learn the material.

Michele Deck

First I will ask them a question to I can determine what kind of learner the student is, then it will help me in coming up with different ways of delivery information to them. Understanding the student is key to helping them with their success!

Team collaboration: It builds trust and accountability amogst peers. Provides an environement for greater feedback and partcipation in the classroom.

Brant, it is the accountability you describe here that will mimic the real world job environment.

Michele Deck

I plan to incorporate the how did you learn a hobby and the 60 second assessment questions. Students today have many pressures and time restraints. Anything we can do assist them to reduce stress and save time is a win win situation.

Sign In to comment