Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

WHAT KIND OF LEARNERS ARE THOSE WHO TEACH?

Afer reading this section it has become increasingly clear that I need to find out what kind of learner I am. I have learned that teachers tend to teach the way they are taught. I realize that I need to change my whole mind set about the way I am teaching in order to educate my self as well as my students.

I agree that teachers start out teaching like they were taught. However, as professionals we need to constantly strive for more knowledge on teaching activities and continue to assess our students

Pamela, it is important to strive for more knowledge, I agree.

Michele Deck

It took a while, but I have learned how to teach the way I learn. Lecture that seems un-ending puts me to sleep. Therefore, I have music playing each morning as my students are arriving; each class starts with a "what's going on in your life" discussion; group and computer assignments are implemented each day and I never sit down or stand still. I constantly am moving, changing the range in my voice, being animated. The students have to turn to look at me frequently and this keeps them from falling asleep and interested.

Margaret,I would like to be a learner in your class, as I am engaged by the methods you have described, and bored by exclusive lecture.

Michele Deck

I find from reading this module that I can be a bit of all of these learners. Now I need to understand how to relate to a specific individual.

Colette, if you are teaching one person, you can teach to their style. If you are teaching more than one person at a time, you must use a variety of methods to be effective.

Michele Deck

I am an auditory learner. I prefer discussions but I realize that this is not an effective way to teach. There seem to be very few of us auditory learners.

During the first day of class, I always a give my students an index care and ask what kind of learner they are. It helps me adjust my teaching style.

I also need to find out what type of learner that I am.It may help me with my students.

Michele, I think that having this awareness makes a person a better teacher.

Michele Deck

Tammy, I am a fellow auditory learner. There are not that many of us.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment