Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Applying Learning Theories

In what ways have you made application of learning theories in your classes?

I have learned to change my way of thinking that if I do something the same way I will always get the same results. I have changed, in particular, my teaching of pharmacology because I have found that when the students participate in a hands-on game to learn abbreviations, they remember them much better.

Lisa, really great teachers strive to amend and change classes as needed. I'm glad you have done that.

Michele Deck

I use a magnet matching exercise on the board to help students associate drug names and their classifications. The students and I use silly word parts/sayings to help them associate which drug names and classifications go together. I have them work in pairs. Sometimes we will make a racing game out of it. It appeals to several types of learners.

therese, thank you for sharing your magnet matching game. An active and involving approach is a great strategy.

Michele Deck

We give a multiple intelligence survey to new students every session to evaluate what learning style they are prior to starting courses.

Ashley, this tool is a great assessment and resource. If the students are willing to share their results with their peers, it can be a great team building activity, too!

Michele Deck

I USE THE SONG "STAYING ALIVE" TO TEACH CPR, STUDENTS FEEDBACK HAS ALWAYS BEEN THAT THEY REMEMBER THE SONG AND HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN HOW TO DO STEPS OF CPR PLUS KEEP UP WITH THE AMOUNT OF COMPRESSIONS IN 1 FULL MINUTE, IT IS ONE OF THE MOST EFFECTIVE TOOLS I HAVE USED

I have created role playing activities that get the students to participate with each other hands on. This way, the students can actually connect the dots between learning and actually working in a provider's office. The atmosphere is non threatening and if they make a mistake, they are not punished.

Lisa, you have created a safe environment for learning, by making it safe to make a mistake and learn from it.

Michele Deck

I have asked students to write their own quiz questions for the class to use during review. I'll have them prepare three questions that they think will stump the other students, with the caveat that they themselves must know the answer to their questions. Sometimes I will have them present their own questions, and other times I will act as the facilitator, divide the class into groups, and have them play a game where they compete for the most points based on correct answers given. The winning team members get stickers, small trinkets, or even candies.

Raylene, thank you for sharing your successful teaching idea. Now others can try it, too!

Michele Deck

Kristine,
I too use the song Staying Alive for CPR technique. I heard it first through the American Heart Association and ever since then it just seems to click better with students. On a similar note, when I teach EKG or A & P of the heart, some students have difficulty retaining the order of blood flow through the heart. I have challenged my students to make a song reflecting the flow and it's amazing how much more excited they become about learning. I think the best is when they make up a dance to go along with it!
Amy

I use a lot of Web 2.0 tools avialable free of cost like Jeopardy to help my students learn. I like to incorporate Youtube videos to reinforce the learning. I like the idea of making my own youtube videos for my students to learn. This way they can hear the video whenever they want.

Jumana, it is so easy to make your own videos now, you are samrt to do that. Your students will benefit from your activities.

Michele Deck

When I was teaching I asked each adult learner what their style was and had them put it on an index card. Then after a month I passed the cards back out to each student I thought matched the particular learning style.

Roberta, were they the same or different than they thought at the beginning? This would be a great awareness building activity.

Michele Deck

Using playdough to form the organs of the body, then putting them into systems. Using "jingles" to learn the organs and pathway of systems. Color coding...example, putting all the functions of the digestive system in red. Using flashcards to create the memory game for study. Bounce a ball off the wall with each term and definition.

Gail, thank you for listing some of your teaching strategies. Others will be successful when they try them because they know you were.

Michele Deck

In my coding classes it is not possible to apply any learning theories except numerous coding exercises for practice. However for A&P and medical Terminology classes we use flash cards, films on the body systems and also crossword puzzles. It helps and I am able to hold their interest for the entire class time.

Sign In to comment