Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gerard, if your class consists only of not so young students, then you can use rote memorization only. If you have younger students in the class, too (who have short attention spans), you might consider using a combination of both, explaining to each that repetition is necessary for learners to recall information. You will be offering a variety of was to revisit content using both.

Scrabble includes all three learning styles. They say the word, touch the letters to create a word. I do not let them play any longer than 30 min.

Thirty minutes or less is a good rule to follow with scrabble.

The whole brain organizer is my favorite because it tops into all three major learning styles, auditory, visual, and kinesthetic.

Beatrice, this is my favorite method as well.

The College where I teach offers the DiSC assessment to all first quarter students and they will have the results of this study by the time they enter the Medical Terminology class. DiSC is both a learning style and personality profile. Knowing how they learn and what types of personalities they work best with is definitely a boost when they start working in groups in their various classes.

I have used the DISC tool and find it a helpful assessment tool, too.

I would definitely say the whole brain organizer works very well. It incorporates all learning styles and recall.

Traci, I hope you enjoy using this method.

Michele Deck

In my lab competencies I will sometimes have the individual students draw for me how a component or a procedure works. For this I have one student in the lab at a time and it relieves some of the anxiousness of the student and allows me to interpret what they've learned.

I too can use all the tips I can get! I am fairly new to the field of education and trying to come up with creative ideas for the students to keep their attention can be somewhat challenging for me. I'm getting ready to teach a class in a couple of weeks that I have never taught before. The power points that come with the book are long and boring, I want to modify the power points but my concern is I might leave out valuable information. Any ideas to help improve the students learning would be greatly appreciated.

Misty, having the students interact with content is more effective than only showing them power point slides. Variety is the key.

Michele Deck

I totally agree. The whole brain organizer is the best choice to accomodate all students learning styles.

I do appreciate the variety in here. I don't have audio-video capability in all of the classrooms. Index cards make a great way to avoid that drawback and still catch all the learners in games and activities. I've gone in streaks depending on the class make-up and resources. Never entered my mind how easy it would be to incorporate the activities with index cards. I'm more from the 'rote memorizing' school so these ideas are a challenge as well as welcome.

Dee, I utilize index cards in a number of ways that create student activity and success.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment