Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Terminology Games

I enjoy using terminology games such as Jepordy, wheel of furtune,etc. because it keeps the students engaged in learning and competition. They love it.

Aleatha, adult game shows have proven to be successful in my classes, too!

Michele Deck

I've used a variety of games in my classes and the students enjoy them. Besides the ones mentioned, you can go online and find more interactive games to use. To name a few: password, millionaire, hollywood squares, are you smarter than (put your school name or program name here. These can all be manipulated to fit your agendas

Danella, it is smart to use game formats that everyone is familiar with as you have mentioned. Why invent an activity when there is one already in existence?

Michele Deck

I recently used Jeopardy to engage my students in the Circulatory System. In the beginning, they seemed indifferent about the game but quickly became extremely competitive. They ended up having a lot of fun and asked if we can do it for other systems as well!

Allysen, thank yu for sharing your success story with Jeopardy. Isn't it wonderful how quickly students learn with this method?

Michele Deck

After completing module 2 I am excited about the prospect of using activities (games) on days where my students usually complete worksheets while working out of the book. I think I will be begin by trying the relay "question and answer relay race" and "secret identity" activities and implement them just prior to the break.

Wayne, I'm glad you are planning to implement these activities. I have had much success with them.

Michele Deck

I also like using games for Medical terminology. I find that when I play games with the students, it makes them want to learn so they can win the games. I play a game called the Flash Card Game. Using flash card with just the word parts on them,I divide the students into two teams, put a stack of flash cards in front of each team and the students have to do a relay by going to the board and writing the definition of the word part on the board. First team that finish, wins! They end up asking me to play this game over and over!

Cecilyn, there is nothing better than students demanding to get involved.

Michele Deck

Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and other TV shows are great for learning and retention (I had fun doing these back when I was in school) but I've also learned of other ways to involve more of the students on a one-on-one(ish) way.

I take board games and translate them, or add rules to them, that make them applicable to the course material. This not only offers variety, but smaller teams can have one game, so that the individuals are more involved and have a chance to contribute.

"Sorry" was translated to include different cards than the ones supplied to the game. To exit the start area, an introduction question is asked. Then to proceed in the game, instead of simply pulling a number, there was a question and if answered correctly you may advance.
Also in the same group as the "Sorry" game, any board game that has cards or dice to move forward can be given index cards with questions that must be answered to advance.

"Guess Who" is a sort of reverse Password-esque game. Each player chooses a term or a study and the players guess what it is by using terminology. "Does it have to do with the endocrine system?" and the answers are only yes or no. This game is similar to a 20 questions type game only the players take turns guessing.

Password is another fun game, I've discovered. The person who is assigned a term gives clues to another player who is then asked to guess the term.
Example: "Ok, it's an organ" "It's responsible for producing insulin" -- "PANCREAS!"

You can split the classroom into smaller teams and those who have a winner or finish their objectives first or get the farthest in the time limit receives a reward. Then I like to rotate groups so that the students get to interact with more of their classmates versus just their friends, and learn other ways of translating course materials to achieve the goals.

Christina, thank you so very much for telling us about your game board experiences. I'm sure someone can now create there own as well.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment