Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bonus Points

I found that students get more involved when there is a small prize at the end of the game such as a bonus point that they can use toward their grade. How do you get the shy learner to participate?

I have found that if I put shy learners into teams with some not so shy students, and I select a spokesperson for each group, they all participate to come up with a "team answer."

Agreed....students at any age love a prize. I have my students on weekly teams and as a team they earn points. Points can also be deducted for tardiness, absences and foul language. At the end of the week I head out to Dollar Store and each team member gets a small, less than $5 a person gift.

The dollar store is a great gift resource. Since these are part of my teaching supplies, I see them as an investment in my teaching.

what if we do not offer any extra points toward grades, how else can bonus points be utilized?

Bonus points can be used to:
a. get out one of class 5 minutes early
b. get one actual question off of a 100 item test
c. buy 2 minutes to tell an appropriate joke of the day to the class
d. buy a small prize you have from a dollar store at the end of the semester.
e. use your imagination to think of things students want but are not a usual part of class.

I also use this technique, I also often assign students to groups for projects and in-class activites. Often I do not allow the students to choose their group - I would have students count off and that number becomes there group (Ex 1-2-3-4, repeat). All members are expected to participate.

I call on them first or pair them up with a more outspoken person.

I agree that offering bonus points and/or rewards are a key to keeping the student engaged. It gives them the opportunity to show desire for their work as well as make the effort to improve academically. Thanks for all the different ideas, I will use these in my upcoming classes.

Allison, I'm glad you liked the different teaching ideas. Bonus points and other incentives does offer students ways to improve and work harder. Keep up the good work!

Sign In to comment