Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have two activities that I use at the end of each clinical rotation to reinforce basic nursing concepts and reward students for knowledge and assessment ability.

I have a game called 'Nursing Knowledge Trivia' where the students are asked questions on everything from lab values to nursing diagnoses. Each student that answers a question correctly gets a $5.00 gift card.

I also have a challenge called "Physical Assessment Smackdown.' First, I divide the students into groups. I use our simulator and plug in several abnormal findings on the assessment. Each group has fifteen minutes to do a physical assessment.

The group that gets the assessment correct or closer than the other groups wins. Each student in the group gets a $15.00 gift card.

These are great ideas! I especially like the secret identity for learning terminology, definitions, etc. I think I'll try this next week!

Students are very competitive. I've used the Jeopardy game in my classroom and they seem to have a great time with that.

Last week, I used the Secret Identity to teach organ systems. After determining what their organs were, the students then went to the board and wrote their organs under the correct system. It was so well received that I'm working up a Secret Identity game for the pharmacology segment in my other class on Monday. Thank you for such a great idea!

Ruth, thank you for sharing your success. What I love about this activity is that it proves to the students they are really learning this content.

Michele Deck

Hudson, thank you for sharing your successful ideas. Obviously, your studnets are the lucky learners!

Michele Deck

Tara, the right activities can be an effective way to build memory of content. You now have proof.

Michele Deck

I have also used Jeopardy in my class and the students respond well. I can't wait to try some of the new ones I learned.

They are more involved in the classroom and you are having fun while learning:)

The Learners have enjoyed the activities in my classes and understand my objectives better for the topic. They also get to know each other better.

Ruth,these two important items you have stressed significantly affect learner success.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment