Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

activity

how can i create an activity with a large group

I have used many of the activities with large groups (650 people), but I first put people in small teams of 6.
I have one representative from each team text me an answer or act as spokesperson, taking turns with these leaders answering questions after consulting with their group.
Good luck, Victor!

Breaking groups into smaller groups and each group should have an end result product whether it be a score or a physical accomplishment that the other groups can observe.

Karen, It's always a positive to have an end product, I agree.

Karen,

That works really well as it keeps them motivated for some additional points or tickets(I use tickets in my class). It also helps the studetns that are not proficient with the English language by having a team leader to speak out the answer. Everyone LEARNS and EVERYONE HAS FUN!

Yes, Lia. I'm sure the students love the tickets and the spirit of cooperation and competition!

What I do is hand out tickets during class if questions are answered, someone helps another students, someone helps me with set up of a game, etc... at the end of the term I pick two names out of a hat and those students will receive extra points on their final grade. Everyone wants those tickets! Funny how they react!

It is funny how competition is a great motivator of adult learners! But it works, so keep using it.

When tackling a large project, I generally will split the class into teams in which they are responsible in researching that topic and discussing that topic to the class. Each team has a different topic in which it builds upon one another so listening to one another and discussing the topic is very important.

What I do with a large group is, I break them into either two or three teams, we play a game called Jeopardy. They are to pick a spoke person, and another person that will come up to the board to write the answer. Among them I will watch to make sure everyone is cooperating and feeding in their thoughts. During this I keep track of the points and the winning team wins some type of prize, such as five extra points on the test or homework. Believe the class does get involved.

Christina, as you have found, wholesome competition is a motivator for students. Jeopardy as you are using it is a great teaching and review tool. You are doing a great job, please continue.

My most effective approach is to randomly place students in groups of 3 with a mission to create a poster and presentation. The work is focused on one main concept of Environmental Science.

I have other groups evaluate each group's work using a number card approach similiar to Olympic scoring.

There is a mixture of focused work, creativity and fun.

The game changes with the type of people in the class.

I like your mix of focused work, creativity and fun, Frederic. I'm sure you see the involvement of your learners as essential to your classes. Being learner focused brings positive results on Tests and skill checks.

My largest class this quarter is 21. It is not so much the number of students but the set up of the room that hinders involvement. So even though it takes time I rearrange the tables each class into smaller groups. Students seem to habitually sit in the same place so I have asked them to find a new seat each week so far (I have 2 sessions per week with the group). This makes it a challenge for me to learn names, but...
In changing around the room I also have room to move between the groups to monitor the group activities.

i group the students together by various numbers and switch the groups often

Switching often keeps the communication open and creates anticipation in the learners, Joann. Good job!

I agree with this strategy and will incorporate it into my nursing post conference in the near future.Marian U

Post conference is s good place to apply this idea, Mariann. I wish you the best!

When I create activities with large groups I like to utilize games (i.e., jeopardy) with a score and team captains. I found this to be most effective with large groups.

I love Jeopardy as well. I myself put people in teams and the person who buzzes in can not snwer the question, his/her group must answer. It keeps everyone on their toes.

Sign In to comment