Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Dot Watch

This is a good idea I'm going to try, but going to put dots on bottom of ID/name tag. That way when I pass them I can see whats going on without asking.

I am a little skeptical about using the dot watch with our PN students. Even though they are allowed to perform skills in the clinical area once they pass Competency Based Evaluations in the skills lab, there are certain skills, such as medication administration that require the instructor present. I would have to see how to incorporate it.

Kim, the red dot represents a task that requires the instructor to be present when performed. A blue dot can be something done independently, such as taking a pulse.

Michele Deck

I really like this idea for some of my students competencies that must be completed that session. This requires my attention. I would have the ability to prioritize my time in better way then I may be utilizing it currently.

I agree with Valerie. Its seems like the dot activity can be used in several different ways. I would even use it in my anatomy course. I can't wait to use this idea

Kiofa, remember that dots are easy to find and inexpensive, so you can use them often with students.

Michele Deck

I agree. I think it's a great idea. You'll really be able to tell which students are making an effort on their clinical rotation. It also helps the student think clearly about the tasks which they are able to perform, and think twice about performing a red dot task.

I love this idea! Next semester I am to lead nursing students in medication adminstration. This is exactly what I need to do in order to decrease my anxiety and ensure a higher level of patient safety. This CEE is just what I needed at the exact time I needed it. Thanks!

Lisa, you are welcome. I'm so glad it is coming to you at the right time.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment