Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Selecting Service Learning Sites

What are some criteria that can be used for selecting a service learning site?

Some criteria when selecting a service learning sight would be making sure that students will gain knowledge thru their service..How many students can participate at one time.

One criteria I would look for would be that the facility has the interested staff to mentor/monitor the students. That they would assist the student in learning, rather that just "be there"

Selection of Learning Sites and Projects should be based upon their alignment with available expertise, student interest and community need. Projects undertaken that do not align with one of these would seem doomed from the beginning.

Some criteria that can be used for selecting a service learning site is the subjects or fields that the students are interested in or are pursuing a career in.

As a culinary educator, my students are involved in service learning as a part of their education. I think it is important to have a wide variety of sites and prospective options to accommodate the diversity and inexperience in the classroom. Sites should be carefully selected along with the student to make the best choice for their education.

Hi Randall.

You are quite correct on the best practice schools should take in vetting organizations in which they plan to hold service-learning events. The students get so much more out of an event if it is planned out well.

Trent Bartholomew

When selecting a service site it is extremely important to ensure that site provides projects and or opportunities for students to utilize what they have been learing from courses they have studied. I also think that it might be beneficial to ask students what types of skills they would like to use at the service site. This would help determine where to go looking for a suitable project.

Hi James.

Excellent note on the importance of ensuring site has appropriate needs to match our students' skills. This is too often overlooked and the event ends up becoming more of a community-service event instead of a service-learning event.

Trent Bartholomew

We look for a variety of sites. Our students have different strengths and talents but all of them need exposure to core skills so we try to look for sites that meet the schools needs for the students and sites that meet the students needs for growth. Some students are good with people while others are more reserved so we look for sites that have high patient contact and some with minimal face to face patient contact. Some students can handle a faster pace (maybe an emergency room type setting) while others need a more controlled pace ( free clinic, small family practice office). We feel that being successful in the positions of SL that they initially are assigned will give them the courage to move to more challenging situations. Confidence and a sense of purpose can't be over-rated!

Hi Miriam.

You have pointed out a key item here: the need to align core skills as well as skill levels when organizing SL events.

Thank you.

Trent Bartholomew

I agree with the criteria being a project or facility students can help and learn at the same time. I have taken students to a facility that sorts, packages supplies, and instruments to countries that are in need. This was a very rewarding experience for the students, and myself.

In general I choose opportunities that have a direct relationship to the students learning. Hence, I choose construction related community service activities. I once did a fund raiser for Second Harvest, and the students built RC Cars, which required them to build the circuit boards of the radio controlled cars. Then they raced the cars in time trials, and each car was sponsored by a different company related to their field of study. We put the company logos on flags which were attached to the antennea of each car. It was great fun and it combined technical learning, professional networking, and community service into one great event.

In selecting a site you should meet with the administration to make sure they can accommodate the students. Also that it is a site that the students will to put into practice what they have learned in the classroom.

Hi Marybeth.

You have identified a key component since a mismatched site will not yield the best benefits to our students.
Thank you.

Trent Bartholomew

The site staff should be aware of what service learning is and how it differs from community service. They should recognize that these are students who are, in addition to providing a valuable service, learning about their chosen career fields. The supervisors should be encouraging and appreciative of the service. The individuals at the site should be involved in the planning, supervising and evaluation of the service.

I usually teach the Communities I and II class, which both require development of a public health educational program. The first project is simply oral health education to a target population. In small groups the students have to select an oral health concern from the healthy people 2020 report, and choose a target population based on these needs. The second program is related to smoking cessation, again with the target population of their choice. I have a list of sites previous groups have visited, but the students may submit a site for approval. Our list continues to grow. The students have presented to a diverse spectrum from youth karate students- promoting the use of protective mouth-guards, pregnant teen Mom's, senior citizens - on oral cancer screening, smokeless tobacco use with an adult soccer team, the list goes on. The community has welcomed us, and the students become so engaged when they can direct the focus of their project.

As a Chef Instructor I often field requests from various organizations for our students to help out at events. These have in the past ranged from Wine Expos to "Famous Chefs" Demos. While my school does not have a formal Service Learning Program in place, I am very careful to evaluate each 'opportunity' for the learning potential. I do not want my students to be used only for 'clean-up' labor. I want them to be able to gain something positive and worthwhile from the experience(s).

The most important criterion is assuring the service learning activity and service learning site help the students meet the require outcomes of the course. Other criteria would be assessing how valuable this activity is in meeting the outcome. Could another activity meet the objective equally well or better? Is the site receptive to student involvement? Can a relationship between the site and the school build a stronger academic package for students?

I would want to be able to do service learning there on a regular basis so we could build a good reputation. I would want it to be a win-win situation where the community benefits just as much as the students. The students should also have the opportunity to practice all the skill they learned in the classroom.

Sign In to comment