Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of the greatest values a student receives that it is "not about them" anymore, it's about giving of themselves to others. This is what we do everyday....making food to make people happy, but that focus is back on us, the creators. In service, the focus is on the community you are serving.

I think that students learn that the world, both near and far, is so much more than just their individual place in it. Having said that, I think they also see that they as individuals can make a positive impact on their surroundings.

Student may not realize the value of their participation right away. We can set it up with the hopes they will get to apply their skills and knowledge but it is not until later that they may realize what connections have been made. An important part of service learning needs to be a reflective component to help students make that connection.

Students learn "It's not just about them" partcipation in a community involves everyone.

In the culinary field the value is amazing and it is seen on two fronts. We have a student club called the Iron Toques that volunteers at large non profit functions around San Francisco. The students sign up and work in the field at restaurants and catering functions with chefs and cooks that are already in the industry, gaining valuable confidence and contacts.

We also require a three month externship working with a praticular chef in a real life setting. Although many of the externships are paid, it still gives the student a chance to actually test their skills and eductation in a live setting.

I think the biggest value is the opportunity to grow and learn as a member of society.

Many of our students are young and inexperienced. To be able to see a different perspective on the world expands their minds; they learn about different people, living situations, how to talk to and work with others, and many other life skills.

Maybe this should be a prerequisite for graduating high school…

Often times in today's social media driven society students often think that social interaction is all about virtual relationships. Because they interact with people on a superficial way through social media they think that they are actually interacting and that by dumping a bucket of ice water over your head you are doing service for a cause. The reality is that unless you are actively going out into the community and doing something service related to help others you really are missing the point. The valuable experiences that you can gain from servicing others is invaluable to both the community and to your own personal development. Students just often need to break out of their cell phone bubbles and actually get out in the community and make a difference.

I see that the greatest value students receive from participating is service learning is they are learning about real world issues in a positive environment. The fact that they address complex problems in a comfortable setting in my opinion is a good thing. They get to interact with other students of different background and learn from each other.

Service Learning gives students a hands on approach to the material they are learing. At the same time, they will benefit from a feeling of accompishment in helping their community.

the greatest value to me is for students to learn that they are able to give back to the community using skills that they have learned. A lot of younger people want to be active but don't know how. This way they realize that their talents can be used not only to help themselves have a better future but also help others.

This is the means that provides ultimate growth through constant supervision and care.Learning should take more of this approach no matter what level of degree someone earns

The greatest value students receive is the hands on experience that creates a lasting impression. It is easier for students to comprehend a concept when they actually do it.

Students get to use the skills they have learned but in the real world setting. It also teaches them how to view themselves as part of a bigger world - not be so focused on themselves.

All too often with the younger generation of students my school is seeing is the sense of entitlement along with
the lack of heart. Seems they want much of the work handed to them.
With Service Learning depending on the type of program they have a chance to put some of those core skills they
have learned in school to use in something other than a lab setting. Maybe their first opportunity to apply their knowledge in a real world setting.
Maybe they can walk away with a sense of pride and accomplishment. Also, a level of ownership having to perform the task and
might start to develop a sense that the time they are spending in school might be rewarding after all.

Hi Troy.

It does sound like this will be an excellent opportunity for the students to learn how to use their new-found skills and, perhaps, even learn a core value in life of what it truly means to give back to one's community. Best of luck.

Trent Bartholomew

I feel they they get to experience what they have been studying in a real life setting. We all know the real world is different than the classroom setting.

The greatest value students receive from participating in service learning is being able to see that they are needed within their communities and can make a difference. Students in settings such as our school have been used to people putting them down and feeling they were not worth the effort they were putting into their educations but I feel service learning empowers the students to see that they are worth everthing and more and by them being able to give back they are able to touch other lives.

it also builds their confidence

I agree with building basics.

A number of students have not been exposed to problems and issues facing our communities, the proverbial "sheltered life." It is one thing to talk about poverty and another to volunteer at the Ecumenical Soup Kitchen, preparing and serving food to the impoverished and hungry. As I continue to preach, it provides for recent, realistic, relevant, and dynamic learning experiences.

Sign In to comment