Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sharilynn,

Excellent description of the positive benefits that come from SL programs

Trent Bartholomew

Being in a classroom setting can get old quick for students. I have found that getting students out of their comfort zone, and applying the content that they've learned in my class aids in retention of content and my student population.

Service Learning allows students to "put it all together". We as instructors model the behaviors and ideals of being a professional by getting involved in community activities and share that info with our students. We give information on what is expected as far as being a active participant in our communities and supporting our chosen causes as well as continued professional learning opportunities. But for the students, SL becomes real when they can see the needs first hand and the positive results of someone actively making a difference It turns on the light and ignites a desire to own their place in their profession.

Students work as a team, and find out how rewarding it is to be part of helping out in a community enviornment. Thet gain experience that is needed for future careers and employment.

Seeing beyond oneself expresses the true benefit of this practice Sharilynn! I feel that service learning begins the ripple affect. It starts with the student branching out of their comfort zone by serving others. The ripple in a pond for example, expands outwardly until the water settles again and is still and clear. It is at that still point that the student is able to self reflect, seeing the tremendous impact he or she has had on the world JUST by serving. It feels so amazing that one cannot wait to toss another rock into the pond! Once the platform for service is structured, planned and in practice, the "me" generation can transform into mature, educated and giving people.

Networking and getting to know professionals in the industry, is one clear advantage. We have done several Habitat for Humanity builds as a program, and meeting other trades people is always beneficial to the students.

The greatest value is the ability to practically apply skill sets learned in an academic setting. This allows full ownership of content and connection with outcomes of decisions made.

Taking the skills they learn in a controlled enviroment and applying them to real life situations. They can see how you have to adapt a skill to meet the situation you are in and how different variables can impact how you respond.

Students learn that they have knowledge and skills that are valued within the community. Many of our students have been recipients of outside help but here they are the ones making the contributions leading to greater self-esteem and self-worth.

Student learn that have actually learned somethng useful and beneficial to society. I believe this will inturnn build character and self confidence in the students ability to be an educated professional.

Having coordinated a few service projects recently for a program in a career college, I'm finding that students have opportunity to give of themselves and share feedback about what this has done for them. Some of the feedback reflects a shift from self-focus to other-focus - i.e those in need. Students report much satisfaction and desire to continue in this way. Though a lot happens in the affective domain, it leaves a lasting impression and value review that they might not have obtained through a lecture or classroom assignment.

Hi Karen.

Excellent observation, Karen. We found that the reflective journals were a tremendous benefit to our students and enabled them to see their growth by the time they graduated.

Trent Bartholomew

The greatest value is the value of giving. The old saying, "It's better to give than receive", is so true. For students to give of their time to a community or a person enriches their lives more than the materials that they tend to value. It puts more value on people than things.

Along with the identified benefits as posted in this forum, I also believe it allows for the students to actually observe professionals in their work environment. They will observe both good and not so good traits of those they are interacting with. There is an emotional buy in, and with that attitudes are formed or changed. I believe it is an impactful program for all whom take part.

Chef Weller...I couldn't agree with you more. In Los Angeles we too are very involved in the community and for many of our students this is their first service learning opportunity. Not only do they gain a sense of outward commitment to the community, but camaraderie, a feeling of belonging and service to the institution (school) is also gained. I believe service learning opportunities create a greater consciousness for success within the school walls as well.

To some students the greatest value they receive from participating in student learning is the sense of civic responsibility, which makes them realize that there is more to doing their job than money. Some students appreciate the confidence they develop in themselves that their service learning experience has given them

This gets them out of their comfort zones, and they are able to enter into areas, situations that they may not encounter had it not been for the school they attend.

I find the younger students do have a sense of entitlement , everything has been given to them they are used to receiving not giving, I think the realization that giving can be a rewarding and eye opening reality that the whole world does not revolve around them.

I think the students get to see that they do have skills (which some don't even know they have)and that they can make useful contributions to society that mean something and a make difference. They get to use their knowledge and help others while also helping themsleves in most cases. Also, most times there is personal growth invovled in service learning which tends to be the most valuable aspect of all.

Also teaching at a culinary school, our students find great value in NETWORKING benefit volunteering has.

There have been many times when a student returns from one of our community service projects where they have met chefs and restaurant owners.

Lots of times, these relationships result in jobs for our students! Talk about a WIN/WIN!!!

Albert D'Addario

Sign In to comment