Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Brady,

I'm glad you brought up Blooms'! You are very right that on the job learning transcends Blooms' understanding of application. Thank you for introducing other experiential theories used elsewhere; this is certainly an ongoing process to learn what works in the "real world" as you rightly point out. Great job!

Dr. James Willis III

Applying experiential learning allows students to gain an appreciation for the complexities of the professional environment. The student or intern experiences real world contact and gains a much deeper appreciation for the skills being taught in school.

Victor,

You're absolutely right. Even if we can teach students about those workplace complexities, experience is really the very best teacher. Great point!

Dr. James Willis III

I think you make an excellent point bringing up how they develop a sense of self-efficacy as a result of experiental learning. I have seen some students gain the confidence that they needed and were sorely lacking. Some adult students who may be embarking on a career after a long time out of the job market especially need confidence in their abilities in order to succeed.

Jennifer,

Great point! Sometimes students need the multiple 'small' victories to see that they can do the job - and do it well.

Dr. James Willis III

“Students learn more when they are challenged by teachers who have high expectations for them, encourage them to identify problems, involve them in collaborative activities, and accelerate their learning,” (Saravia-Shore, 2008). Critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, reflection, self-assessment, and critical thinking are skills associated with 21st century education; teachers are expected to employ instructional strategies which are authentic and challenge students to develop the skills needed to function in a global economy. Authentic learning highlights student’s ability to contribute to the real-world “drawing on existing talents and experiences to build confidence through participation,” (Lombardi, 2007). Curriculum integration is one way to meet current educational trends, while at the same time, focusing learning on students; curriculum that is both flexible and integrated, enables student adaptation to increased rigor and educational expectations by looking beyond the classroom into the tasks of real-world professionals.

Linda,

Outstanding analysis! You are very right to point to the skills required in the 21st century - and how different those are than in previous curricula. I also think you're right that the final phase of that, going beyond the classroom into professional practice, is what completes a student's education. Great job!

Dr. James Willis III

Seeing something in the real world vs the text book drives home the fact they are realy entering the work force. It's not some far off impossibly dream.

David,

Students often miss out on this perspective as they get through their coursework. You're right to point out that an internship can really help them come to grips with the real world in their selection profession.

Dr. James Willis III

Students are excited when they finally put thing together in a real life setting. Tasks and concepts make more sense when they 'come alive' in the experiential learning setting.

Joanne,

You're absolutely right; sometimes student's don't totally "get it" until they can interact in real life. The internship is a good way to bridge the gaps of classroom learning.

Dr. James Willis III

As an instructor, I find it personally gratifying when the students find that things they thought were "unnecessary" in the classroom are actually practiced in the field. Some of them just need to see it first hand, and that is what internships are all about. Suddenly all of their school experiences become real, and a few who hadn't, perhaps, given school their "all" are frightened a bit by that. This is a good thing. Most find that they know "more than they thought", and are increasingly excited for their future career.

Paula,

You're right to connect these ideas. I think all too often students have an attitude of "why do I need to learn this??" while we, as instructors, know exactly why they need to know it. Great point!

Dr. James Willis III

Experiential learning allows the students to gain the experience necessary for their profession. It helps them to understand processes that can not be taught in a classroom setting.

Tralanda,

Great point! Experiential learning is a very important component of education, especially when the skills are needed outside of the classroom in a direct way. Great point!

Dr. James Willis III

Because my students are in the medical field, what they learn in the classroom and clinical laboratory is applied in a real-world setting. This helps them see the "why" part to some of the things that they thought were not necessary to learn on campus. The put what they learn into practice and so many of them come to me and say they see why we are so tough on them in class.

Sonja,

You bring up a great point with the "why" comment. Oftentimes this is hard / impossible to explain in the classroom, whereas it becomes quite clear in the workplace. Putting learning into practice when it counts is a tremendous answer to the "why"!

Dr. James Willis III

I suggest that experiential learning is transformational. Regardless if classroom pedagogy is recent, realistic, relevant, and dynamic, experiential learning provides a more subjective experience in the learning process. I believe Kolb found that experiential learning includes cognitions, environmental factors, and emotions that influence the learning process. As the majority of interns state, "There is a difference between book and experiential knowledge."

Experiential learning enhaced the ability of students to integrate academic knowledge with practical applications.  It will improved job or career opprtunities after graduation.  It increased relevance of past and future classroom learning.  It improved workplacesocial and human relations skills.  Learners are given the opportunities to apply communication and problem-solving skills.

Sign In to comment