Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tara,

That is very true; the internship is a lengthy interview. You are very right that it's important to prepare students for the reality of this; lessons of professionalism, sound judgment and attentiveness are all too important for this long-term interview.

Dr. James Willis III

The internship would be beneficial if handled well at the internship site. If they just use the intern as cheap (or free) labor, then it may be detrimental to the student. Both the internship coordinator and on-site supervisor should ensure student time is well spent during the internship.

Khalid,

Excellent point! The assurance of quality is necessary on both parts in order to give students a good experience. Great point!

Dr. James Willis III

When students are placed at a site for externship, it is a real eye opener for most of them. They learn to interact with a complex variety of personalities and situations and therefore obtain a more realistic knowledge than what they learnt in class.

Mignonne,

You bring up a great point. Often what we teach students is the 'theory' behind the knowledge, whereas working in the 'real world' is always a different story. Great point!

Dr. James Willis III

As aninstructor I see an internship as the opportunity that our students have to practice the skills previously adquired, as well as to learn new skills and see the real-life working environment. Once they leave the classroom they are away from "their comfort zone". It is the time to show that place where the intership is occuring that you can be a good match for them.

Yes of course externship gives the students a growing experience and prepares them for the real world. externship is a great value to the student and the employer, they are able to see a student for a long period of time excel and possible hire.

Yolanda,

You make a great point about the comfort zone; the 'real world' is full of situations that are out of our 'comfort zones,' so the internship provides an excellent opportunity for students to learn how to cope in a safer environment.

Dr. James Willis III

Dr Diana,

You bring up a good point with the terms of value. It serves the employer and possible employee quite well, especially in terms of getting on the job training.

Dr. James Willis III

I teach in an allied-health career college and I find that among other benefits, internships expose students to various aspects or specialities of their chosen career field. This provides an opportunity for a student to move from the "general" knowledge acquired in class to "specific" skills, possibly helping determine their future "speciality" within their field.

Tanya,

You bring up a great point. Sometimes students find a niche in a related field, or they want to expand their skills. Internships are a great way for them to help determine future directions.

Dr. James Willis III

I believe that internship directly improves a students understanding of the job at hand, it gives them valuable information that directly relates to the experience. It gives them the in- site to chose what part of the field experience they are most interested in and lets them choose what direction they want to go with their education. The time spent with a company gives the student a true real life look into the job.

Dawn,

Great point about choosing a specific direction in a particular field. We can introduce students to these sub-fields in the classroom, but they are best learned on the job; it's better to have this experience as an intern. Great point!

Dr. James Willis III

Internship helps the student to put into action what they learn in class, as well as introduse them to the real work world.

Beverly,

Good point! It's important that students have the experience of contextualizing what they've learned in the classroom with the way the 'real world' works.

Dr. James Willis III

I find that students participating in internships often relate course material to their field more easily. The connection between industry and education becomes more clear and they're more motivated to absorb course material.

John,

This is a great point! Students often feel fatigue when they are unable to connect what they're learning in a classroom to direct applicability in the workplace. You're very right to point this out!

Dr. James Willis III

One of the greatest learning opportunities within an internship experience is for students to enhance the soft skills that are so important for their success in the field. These can also be supported and practiced in the classroom.

Internships allow students to gain positive and negative feedback on their actions and behaviors so that they can act as true prfessionals when in their first job in the field.

Laurna,

You are absolutely right! Soft skills can be amongst the most difficult to learn, and sometimes they can only be learned while on the job. And, you're also right to point out positive and negative feedback can be quite the teacher!

Dr. James Willis III

I've had students who didn't necessarily like the preceptor ship they were assigned, but gained a greater appreciation for that area. I've also seen students choose work in that area after graduation when they would never have originally thought of it. Even for students wh didn't particulary like the field, they gained valuable work experience. For me personally, when I was a student my preceptorship completely changed the course of my career- I believe for the better.

Sign In to comment