Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Augmenting Engagement | Origin: ED210

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Implementing Online Learning Augmentations in Hands-on Programs --> Augmenting Engagement

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Many educators are currently debating the benefits and challenges of online learning due to the rise in its use over this past year. Students are bored, frustrated, and completing less work when they are virtually learning. Educators need to address the learning process and benefits in order to truly provide an engaging experience for students.

What I am seeing is students spendiing more time trying to figure out how to get around online content than it would take to actually watch it and learn. I constantly encourage my students both in person and by messaging to get engaged in the learning process. 

Reply to Jeffrey Covington's post:100% 

As much as we try to get them engaged in online learning it is a constant battle to keep the students from finding shortcuts through doing the actual work

It was a challenge  last year on replacing hands-on through virtual learning. Some skills in Nursing requires physical skills or actually mastering the skills physically ( ex. inserting foley. adminsitering GT feeding  , giving medications to actual patients ). Nursing is a combination of nursing theory and mastery of  of skills and how we translate theory into application. 

Whether online or in-person, it is such a challenge to ensure that students aren't multi-tasking. A good work-a-round is to break them up into group assignments with a requirement to report back with outcomes. 

We can use hands on online learning when put in practice what you have learned in theory based in a real-life context of use scenario.

During pandemic, we tried Swiftriver which is an online platform to simulate real life scenario. Although students feel that it is best hand-on learning we can get during pandemic, students still feel taking care of actual patients, knowing thei diagnoses and medications is irreplaceable. Nursing is about in-person relationship and truly caring sick person  hands on with aplication of skills. 

Reply to Rebecca Gacki's post:I totally agree. There are alot of oppurtunitites that kids miss because they just want to be done.

Engaging online students is difficult, and even more difficult to get students not to do shortcuts through their lecuters, etc. 

I also believe when student is learning online they tend to get off task or difficult to be engaged. 

There is more of a hindrance than a benefit to go virtual.  The "Old School" approach of being classroom-present has produced more equipped students. 

Simply transferring what you would do in person to an online platform doesn’t make a class engaging. Students will be frustrated because they know this would work better in a classroom. However, expanding the learning experience through online possibilities that are not available in the physical room is what makes online learning so powerful. 

Sign In to comment