Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I tend to enjoy using twitter to keep things light and also be able to answer questions at the same time.

I wouldn't use Twitter on any social site in my classes at this time, unless I was told too. I have too many students already wasting class time on twitter and facebook and giving them a "reason" to be on them for class purposes would only increase the distraction.

Many school environments do not welcome or even do not authorize using social media in the classroom, yet the use of social media could be a very effective tool to impart knowledge and introduce creative discussion of the topics included in a course’s curriculum. As a teacher, I understand how beneficial the interaction brought about by establishing such connections with outside sources could be to promote knowledge acquisition and encourage class participation. Even in a ESOL class, in which sometimes there is resistance to speak English due to shyness or fear of making mistakes, a contact with outside speakers could overcome their hesitancy and motivate them to engage in discussing topics of mutual interest. This could be a way of convincing conservative school authorities to allow the use of social media in the classroom.

Philip Cunill

I do agree it is very difficult for our department. As it is we have long lap classes and their ability to interact within the class is so small Twitter will cause problems.

Twitter can be used to link content area learning to the reality our students thrive in. For example, I use Twitter to challenge students to communicate concisely and effectively. I have used Twitter for things from summary writing to reading responses. In business focused communications, Twitter is a tool that real businesses are using to reach customers- I have students follow a few companies and analyze their communications. Students then utilize Twitter to communicate from their "made up" company.

I also have to agree with you ,in my school our curriculum does not allow for any change whatsoever.
Not in the near future!

@TheresaSchmitt I have not incoorporated Twitter into my teaching style yest, but I most definately recognize the need to stay current with social media, especially since more and more time is being spent on these sites.  I teach a board review course, so I could start a twitter page for the course and post critical thinking cases that encourage feedback.  As the students review the discussions, they will be reviewing exam content. 

I am looking forward to starting a twitter site for the students to continue their educational journey.  After completing this course, I realize that this type of social media site provides the perfect platform to table content that reinforces what the students are learning as well as provoking critical thinking......can't wait to get started, thank you!

Sign In to comment