Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gleb,

Compatibility really depends on the type of file you are sharing. Personally, with text documents I share both a copy of the Word document and a PDF copy so the text is "locked in", having issues with reformatting margins, etc. in the past when opened on various devices. For sharing audio files, I stick with .wav files and video, Quicktime MPEG 4-h.264. In my experience, the video standard changes every few years- this latest standard has been far more successful across platforms than many older codecs. Ensuring the latest plug-ins/drivers have been installed on the device is also crucial.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Just maybe two years ago, the college I teach for began using an LMS and encouraged all instructors to use it to keep grades and communicate with students. I admit, I was hesitant at first, but did start using it, and although it IS very time consuming for the teachers, it's very student friendly. They are able to see just exactly what their grades are for every subject and what they've missed or need to complete requirements. If they miss classes, assignments & due dates are posted....I really think it helps both teachers and students keep on track. Might be more computer time involved for teachers, but definitely fewer excuses from students!

John I just last term did online final exams and it worked great it graded and posted there grade the moment they submited there test.

I agree, I am looking forward to implementing this into my class. We have a hard time making copies for students right now that this is going to help so much.

Currently in our school the students do have the traditional book, but have the choice to also access it online in the event that they do not have their book available. Grades are done exclusively online as well as access to the syllabus and rubrics. Aside from the saved paper aspect, it allows alot more portability. You can access from anywhere.

A great benefit of utilizing a document management systems is the turn around time on getting graded papers back to the students. Another benefit is having students engage in technology so that they are comfortable with technology when going into the workforce.

Having completed a Bachelor's degree online I have seen the benefit of uploading documents to an interactive portal. It not only allows for interaction with the instructor but also with other classmates and makes it easy to do group projects etc...I also saw how if I was on the other side, programs like Turnitin can benefit the instructor with plagairism and copied material issues.

I really like the use of google docs as a means to collect homework

Some benefits of utilizing a document management system allows the student to upload work, that my otherwise be forgotten or misplaces with the ability to access the information at a later date.

Information uploaded by students can also be recalled later by administration if needed to confirm the students grades or submission for the course.

In addition to saving paper as others have mentioned, I've found the timestamp provided on digital turn-ins cuts down on confusion about where files are or when they were turned in. It facilitates implementing late work policies since everything is there in black and white.

I like the choice the students have of copying to their thumb drive, print or remember the Presentation. It saves time and paper.

Document management and media sharing through programs like Evernote, Google Docs, and OneNote can definitely save significant time in the classroom for both staff and student. By sharing my student resource files with my students they can access them at any time and because these services allow me to update documents, if I make a change the student gets it immediately and I don't have to print off the documents again.

My student share their documents with me (i.e. Homework) No more I left it on the bus, my dog ate it, etc. When they finish the work they save it to the shared folder and I have access to it immediately. I can grade it and give them the feedback in the same way.

When my students find an interesting website, file, video or whatever they can simply clip the file or website and save it to their shared file and I have access to it immediately.

These are great tools.

It's much easier and faster to have students upload assignments so that they are accessible before class begins. Additionally, it gives the instructor the opportunity to preview assignment submissions to ensure the work was done properly, and if not, to have the chance to contact the student before class to have them revise the assignment so that it fully demonstrates their understanding of the material.

We have a limited version of E-College which is good for sharing documents. Great to be able to load everything at the beginning of the semester and have it available. Facilitates assignments as students can pull up the template of questions and type their responses in then send it to me electronically. Looking forward to more robust systems with more functioning.

Christopher,

I am glad you agree and have embraced these resources. I love it because my satchel is now 5 lbs. lighter than it was ten years ago- it is nice not to lug around a stack of papers day after day!

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Having students upload presentations or class documents can help to avoid wasting class time collecting info or even handing out info that can be accessed in a digital medium at a later time, etc. It also is valuable as a teachign tool giving students autonomy over their learning experience.

Students would feel more engaged in the lesson. I feel a student would rather download a lesson than, "students take out your books and turn to page...". Less paperwork and the ability to insert current material in the lesson is a big plus also.

We use a portal system in our school where all the students have access to their entire course from day 1 (assignments, grades, attendance, PPTs, lectures, etc). It's nice to have the students upload their reports, presentations, research, etc directly to the portal. I have found that it saves time in the classroom, saves paper of course, reduces the stress of the student if they aren't able to make it to class on a particular day, and it also allows the instructor to open the uploaded presentations directly from the computer and shared with the class via an overhead projector where it can be discussed with the student and class quickly and easily.

Beyond the economic advantage of saving paper, shared files will allow the follow on classes to build on previous research and expand the knowledge base of the school.
I will also provide examples of quality presentations to assist in reaching new levels of excellence.

One main benefit is saving paper. I've printed syllabi for my classes in the past, and I would find them left behind or in the trash. Uploading files and presentations eliminates waste. It also makes it convenient for students to access the information. They can grab the it from a school computer, their phone, or mobile smart device.

Sign In to comment