Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology and Power Point

I have been adding more technology to power point by adding videos of medical assisting procedures. Students are able to view the procedures numerous times to improve performance.

Power Point is a valuable tool and taking advantage of all its features is a great idea. It's been my experience that too many instructors use PP simply as a text driven vehicle. That becomes stale quickly.

Power point has been taken as a repacement for preperation which is not the case. Preparing powet points is not done right. Instructor copy and paste unnecessary details. Slides are made too busy. Font size is an issue.
Instructors who just read of the slides make boring lectures. Power point was meant to be POINTS to be discussed with explanation and elaboration. We have made it a replacement for thinking and teaching. Instructors should be taught how to prepare and present power points.
Regards
Javaid

Implementing a tool into PowerPoint, such as Turning Point, will allow the instructors to evaluate students' learning. I use this to ask sample quiz or test questions, which allows the studnets to become famniliar with my testing style.

Power point is indeed a valuable tool,and quite a few teachers make it very boring ,almost as a surrogate teacher.

I rarely use Power Point while lecturing.

I will use it as a review tool and they are posted on a dropbox for the student to review at their convenience.

I know of one instructor that uses it exclusively. Students get bored and when I have subbed for that instructor I have used his PPT but will enhance it with worksheets as classroom activities and the students get so much more out of it.

Thank God for YouTube! I use it almost everyday in some classes to demonstrate surgical procedures that can not be recreated in the lab.

I see adding YouTubes and other videos into the PPT help with lecturing. I've sat in some classes where the PPT is extensive and boring. The students start to have side conversations.

Sign In to comment