Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do iPads ensure student attention

By using iPads in the classroom does the class participation improve or does learning improve or is use of any computer system a benefit?

Michael,

I believe it is the app that will encourage learning, not so much the tablet, and how that app relates to the course material plays a factor in how successful integrating this specific technology. I personally do not favor an iPad over a quality android tablet such as a Galaxy Tab 3, which is sold for considerably less. I hope this answers your question.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I really like the idea of using the tablet in the classroom, it is a tool of the future and i hope that our institution will get more involved with these devices as time goes on.

I think that using media like this must be well structured in order for it to be a benefit to the student. I've had students look things up in class and I've found that just because the students have the information at their finger tips does not mean that they comprehend what it is that they are reading.

I frequently see students using a calculator for extremely simple calculations, e.g. to do 2x3 they would use a calculator, even though they can do this in their heads.

I wonder if extensive use of an ipad, or another similar device, would lead to an internet-dependence somewhat similar to the calculator-dependence that we see.

I find that it's only an distraction in the classroom to only find that the student is not using it to learn the subject matter. I will only allow them to use it when I ask them to look up something. I have caught them before texting and such and that is when I will take it away from them. Yes or no and it depends on the situation or outline of the lesson plan.

I agree that we should incorporate technology in the classroom, but how do we constantly monitor the students to make sure they are using the devices appropriately? Even students who use their laptops to take notes in my classes are often caught surfing the internet or posting on facebook.

Rebecca,

While teaching, I walk the room and monitor their activity and have a tendency to "call a student out" on misuse of technology during class time. I find it only takes one or two warnings before the behavior ceases.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

The majority of times, an iPad can be a distraction but the rules should be put into place from day 1 and those that won't follow the rules then that luxury of using that type of technology will be taken away. If a student is using an iPad responsibly then it can be a great asset when in comes to learning.

Yes. They can, however, as with many assignments students need to know the measureable goals of the assignment using an iPad. At times, I have found iPads/phones to be wonderful for obtaining fast information. They can and do have a place.

I think iPads would distract student attention because they use them for fun as well as a tool for learing. It would difficult for a student to make that distinction when the lecture begins to bore them.

I agree that it's not the tool but the app that makes a difference in improving participation. Further, I believe the format of the class also makes a difference. The level of interactivity of the app used is also crucial. Also, I have experienced real good results when using ebooks. At least the majority of the students will not forget to bring their books to class if it's accessible on their iPads!

I don't think anything can "ensure" student attention. However, I believe iPads and other tablets can be a useful tool in the classroom. I have many students who rent their textbook in e-book fashion for the course for a fraction of the price of the printed book. E-books on tablets allows the students to bookmark, highlight, insert comments, etc. which keeps all of their notes in one place. My students with the paper text do not "mark" in their books because they sell them back. Also, having their tablets in the classroom allows them to look up concepts which they don't understand which reinforces new skills being learned.

Julia,
I agree, we cannot ensure student attention- but we can try our best, and tablets/ebooks do help. You bring up a fantastic point, many students do sell their books back and are reluctant to mark up their books. Unfortunately, many students cannot afford iPads or similar tablet devices. I have seen a trend in higher education as schools partner with third-party iPad rental services for just this purpose.

Theresa Schmitt

I feel with proper monitoring that Ipads can be useful. Especially if expectations and boundries are established.

Khalid,

I am a young in age, fairly new instructor, and I grew up with technology. Not only do I believe that we have grown dependent on calculators, but that we have also grown dependent on the internet. I have students who have said to me that they never think to look up information in a book. And some have even struggled to find information in glossaries. My fear is that we will lose the ability to independently find information without a "google search engine." Technology is wonderful. But I think we must remember that physical text (and using a pencil and paper to solve math problems) still holds a weighted importance in learning.

Jennifer

I would like to have ipads instead of textbooks. It seems more students would bring them to school and be able to look up information easier.

Alexander,

I believe iPads are a great convenience in todays classroom. Students are not only able to access their textbook, highlight sections, and make notes in the margins, but they can use the tablet to connect to internet sources in order to examine a topic in more detail.

Theresa Schmitt

Sign In to comment