Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating an interactive learning environment with theory classes

I find it easy to implement an interactive learning environment when the subject matter is a "hands-on" technique. However, I do struggle with ways to make theory classes interactive. Any suggestions?

I often struggle with the same challenge. What I have found is that thinking in terms of the "verbs" that I would use to describe the theory, concept, etc; I am often able to think of analogies or other illustrative examples that students can relate to, work with, etc.

For example, the heart is basically a pump that "pumps" blood. Blood is a fluid that "flows" throughout the body. The ideas of "fluid", "pumping" and "flowing" are generally easy to grasp and relate to.

If a pump is pumping water against a smaller diameter hose, the pressure will increase as would be evident by how the water "shoots" out of the end of a hose if one places a thumb over the end of the hose.

Now if the heart has to pump through occluded/blocked/constricted/narrower "hose/artery", the pressure of the blood inside the hose will be increased (ie. hypertension)

After a while if a pump can't push water out fast enough, water will backup in the pump and the pump will "burn out". Same thing happens with the heart. If the heart can't pump enough blood out, it will accumulate in the heart (congestive heart failure)and the heart will eventually burn out.

My background is Pharmacy and fortunately, I found a "study buddy" who had an uncanny ability to do this. I'd struggle with some concept, and Jesse would say..."Think of it as a pond...." or..."Think of that as...." It never ceased to amaze me how he he could break down even very complicated things into simple understandable concepts based upon common every day "things". Over time, I incorporated this type of thinking into my studying and I also use it in my teaching.

I teach a Pharmacology course that I always, first and foremost, try to present and have students think about things in terms of the "big picture". The framework (big picture)that I try to put together for the students is often simplistically based on analogies/similar examples. It seems to work because, at the end of the course, I have had several students tell me that the course was really just a lot of "common sense".

I believe that the best way to really engage students during theory classes is through Q&A's and examples that the students can provide. The most important part is to make it interactive and not easy for them to fall asleep.

Keila,
Keeping them engaged will help them.
Philip Campbell

I teach Hematology, handson keeps them focus, active, can also be used as a thinking tool. My students are surprised when I become the model, this way we can see and correct our mistakes together.

GILDA ,
Modeling is good, just be careful around the needles.
Philip Campbell

One sure way that I incorporate theory class interaction is by role-playing. I divide the class into small groups and allow them to work together on the entire situation. They create the theory and they act it out in both a positive and negative setting. The negative setting will prompt questions to be answered by the remaining groups on a better way to handle that particular situation.

I agree in the question answer method. It allows students to reflect on what has been taught.

The best way for creating an interactive learning environment, I believe, is to have lot's of group work. Group work combined with concise assignments that are topical and easy to entice responses.

Mrs. Hall

Miyuki,
Group work is a great tool. It can promote a lot of interaction among peers. Therefore, having a great deal of practice with soft skills.
Philip Campbell

One way to keep students engaged is to relate theory to real life events and or cross relations... Short analogies

Sel,
Keep those real world examples ready to use every day. The students appreciate them.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment