Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology

We prohibit the use of smart phones in the classroom unless it is for research. Students are allowed to look up career related subjects (facebook is not one of them though)
Many of my fellow instructors are placing course material online. Some are using a Google app, while others are developing Kahn Academy style videos to help students go back and listen to a particular lecture and go over it for key points they may have missed. One instructor even has QR Codes on his class handouts so the students can scan them with their smartphone and have the lab handout anywhere they wish to view it.
Has anyone else tried any of these approaches? If so, what has worked or not worked for you?
Thanks

Richard,

I have not tried these phone options but find them to be good because our student do not realize the power the have with their phone when it comes to education. Also, it keeps student from checking his/her phone in class. I have referred students to websites in class in which they can use their phone if they do not have a computer in class.

Antoine Lewis

I have not used this, however if used correctly, I beleive it can be a great tool. So many times we use smart phones, for not so smart actions, that we tend forget the other uses they serve.

William,

You mad a great point and as instructors and institutions we need to provide tools that students can use with their smartphones. Many student today are using ebooks and participating on online classroom discussions using smart phones yet they have texting, social media, and apps. to distract them.

Antoine Lewis

Sign In to comment