Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

keith,

It is important to incorporate technology in the classroom while making sure that the student understands the technology and is getting a quality education.

Antoine Lewis

i find that was long as the technology is heaping them, then it should not be shunned. For example i use prezi for some of the lecture presentations, and that way if they did not get what they should have in class they can see the lecture afterward. I would like to get them all iPads somehow and use the app that mirrors the one that i would have, that way there is no way they can see anything else.

Everett,

It is encouraging to see that you are using technology in the classroom. In the future I see all institutions using apps, ipads, etc. so student can have access to information at their finger tips.

Antoine Lewis

Yes. There has to be a good way we can capitalize on the use of these devices in the classroom. How can we use smart phones to propel class discussion, or to enhance classroom interactivity? Is it even possible? Or is it best to limit the use of these devices?

Luis,

At this time I belive smartphones can be used but you must limit how you use them because not all students have smartphones. It is my understanding that more students are using educational apps, online encyclopedias, and libraries on their smartphone.

Antoine Lewis

Very good point here. As institutions and instructors we can't simply run from this area. This form of electronic communication is here and is going nowhere so instead of being fearful and seeing it as a negative show optimism and incorporate it into the classroom. Like everything it has its drawbacks but we must learn to understand and usefully integrate its use in our classrooms.

Denise,

Smartphones indeed have pros and cons in the classroom and at this time I feel student are easily distracting when using them in class. I do feel more institutions will have apps so students can read eBooks, post to forum and get alerts. Some have already started doing this.

Antoine Lewis

I was toying with idea of recommending my institution purchase iPads for students and build the cost into the tuition. The reason for this is a lot of the calculation we do in my course there exists Apps that can really improve a students understanding and performance. I feel like we are letting our students down by NOT introducing them to all the tools available in their trade by not moving toward greating technology use.

Dale,

Including iPad in the cost of tuition is a great idea and many institutions find that students more time than not use it more for non-academic reasons and tech support is the instructions reliably. They rather have a learning management system that is compatible with any device and provide discounts with companies such as DELL, HP or Apple.

Antoine Lewis

Sign In to comment