Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assumptions to Avoid | Origin: ED142

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Military Veterans: Integrating Vetarans into Post-Secondary Classes --> Assumptions to Avoid

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Very helpful skills to learn for classroom management. Being able to reach and assist these group of students will help me as an intructor to have a cohesive and integrated classroom.

Assumimg all Veterans are the same is a huge mistake.  There are differences in sense of duty and responsibility that go hand in hand with the Veteran's experience while in the military.  Approaching them on an individual basis is necessary to understand their individual experience, as much as possible.  This also help in reaching this individual in the classroom as well as in any practical application of the material being studied.  Being able to associate assigned tasks with something they can identify with, as far as mindset is concerned, is a huge asset in helping them break through barriers.

The unique population is often overlooked.  Furthermore, as an instructor, I can not assume all veterans are the same and have the same individual needs.  Each individual is unique and based on what I have learned so far, I aim to reach those needs the best way I can to facilitate learning and academic success

Veterans are all different just like other students.  You can motivate them sometimes by giving them a W.I.F.M. (What's in it for me) for the learning and tasks they will be required to learn. They can be motivated by engaging in the learning activities. Possibly giving hands-on demonstrations. This builds confidence by seeing the process done correctly. The instructor just needs to be flexible with the learning to reach each of the students

Don't assume that all veterans are alike.  They have different military experiences.  Also, don't assume that they are more responsible or have any other traits/characteristics that civilians tend to associate with the military experience.

All learners are different. Provide a sence of autonomy by providing opportunities, use of good motivational tools and create an environment were all views are considered will greatly benefit all students/veterans learning alike. It is important to create/develop a class culture environment of acceptance, respect, and participation so every student could have a richer learning experience.

By engaging veterans and all students individually to reflect on what their goals are and what the benefit is of their course of learning, we can help them find their own motivation.  Also, by creating a context where they can support each other in the classroom is important.  Having an expectation for respectful interactions at all times, the vets can be encouraged to participate and that helps their motivation as well. 

Establishing respectful treatment of one another on the first day is helpful,, especially reminding all students that it's more important to berespectful when you disagree with someone than when you agree. I find that my students, veteran and civilian, are more open after being assured respectful reception.

Building up hope through a new learning experience. Support, autonomy, listening.

Assuming that all military members are responsible, motivated, and self-starters can set up some of your students for failure.

great

It is important to remove any necessary assumptions in the classroom and be open with students on general expectations and have patience towards students who are struggling. It is important to not assume that all military personnel are responsible, moptivated and self starting, some of the traits they gained in the military may not be put into practice in the classroom.

Do not assume that your students are or aren't going to be the ones that will pay attention in class.

Assuming al veterans think alike & act similarly is a mistake. Each student, regardless of veteran status is unique in their experiences, values and learning methods. 

Comment on Gregory Jorgenson's post: Building student confidence through hands on labs that match what the student will experience in the real word is paramount to building the intrinsic motivation necessary for success. We the instructors must be flexible in our material delivery so we can be successful with our training.

Sign In to comment