Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Potential Emotional and Psychological Challenges | Origin: ED142

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Military Veterans: Integrating Vetarans into Post-Secondary Classes --> Potential Emotional and Psychological Challenges

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned the importance of seeking out resource such as the VA to help me in further identifying the needs of my students and their transition into civilian life and education.  I have also learned to identify special needs such as PTSD, Isolation tendencies and triggers for our veteran students. This is going to greatly impact my teaching styles since it will assist me in accomodations in the classroom.

My goal now is to research local/national resources for veteran students and be prepared to offer that information when needed. I will also like to research potential signs of depression/suicide so I can be equipped and know how to properly handle that situation should it arise. I am currently making a list of positive changes to make in my classroom to better accomodate my students and enhance their learning experience. 

PTSD is hard to diagnosed due to the fact that the stress can be at different levels. With that being said, there are programs and treatments to help them. as an instructor, I have to learn to cope and be flexible with my instructions, but give them a sense of dignity.

Recognizing PTSD and the associated triggers is not an easy task.  Each individual has their own triggers, which also bring about a vast possibilities for reaction as a coping mechanism.  I have found that if you approach the individual off to the side and away from earshot of the other students, it is easier for the affected individual to relay some of their anxiety to you as the instructor.  Veterans are primarily associated with PTSD, but are not the only ones dealing with it.  If you are attentive and have had some training on signs to watch for, it makes recognition of it a little easier if you observe the class and how the individuals participate in the classroom.

As a veteran and administrative and educational leader, it is vital to recognize early signs of conflict that can lead to misunderstandings and veteran-student intolerance - vice versa. 

Veterans are most often misunderstood and their unique needs unappreciated. It is important to seek help and resources for them as necessary for them to be academically successful

I have noticed that veterans can bring some structure to the classroom even those with some challenges. Listening to each person and giving the student an option can mitigate some personality issues that may arise in the clasrrom or lab settings.  Giving out general information and where to find additional resources can be very helpful.

Every veteran is different.  Impatience and intolerance may be symptoms of a deeper problem or feelings of disrespect.  Becoming aware of resources available to veterans is important. 

These potential emotional and psychological challenges can not be ignored. Institutions and administrations should continue to have programs in place to help veterans students as much as to have their staff aware in dealing/learning from these challenges. I believe most institutions have implemented programs to deal with these and educators have taken an important step in learning how to approach/handle these challenges. I personnaly appreciate everyone for doing their part in helping and accomodating a good learning environment for our veterans. Thank You! 

I've had the honor and priviledge of teaching many veterans and no two are alike!!  Some take the transition well.  Some have psychotic breaks at school!  Having a structured policy in place to assist them and having a veteran contact person in administration helps tremendously.  The SVA (student veterans association) is also a great place for them to connect.  Because of their military training, their fund raisers are always well attended and earn the most!  The best day is when they graduate! 

Some veterans are comfortable with the challenges they face; I've had students who bring their ptsd dogs to class, and I've had others whoo shut down when something gets difficult. The most important thing with veterans (and all students) is to treat every individual as just that--an individual.

Listen to students needs, work on making every student feel included, respected, and assisted in every situation that may de required. Helping with transition from military life to civilian, should be an instuctor primary goal for the veteran to be succesfull in this new scenario and in life. 

My husband has a TBI as a result of his service, and it can be frustrating for him when tackling new concepts. Taking the time, and using different approaches can mitigate that.

General course with good concepts.

As an instructor it is important and pertinent that resources are readily available and it is important for an instructor to research resources and support for disabled veterans to better meet their needs towards success in the class. 

good course with good concepts for teaching veterans

I will try to be receptive and aware of the challenges our Veterans face. I will try to be open, listen to their concerns and pay close attention to their progress.  I will also check with our campus for resources that are available for our Veterans.

This module has taught be to always be resource ready for veteran students. To be conscious of the difficulties they face in daily life. As well as be understanding that they process situations and feeling differently than a civilian student.  

Sign In to comment