Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Digital Natives Not Knowing How to Use Word

I have really enjoyed the readings in this course and love working with my Gen-Y students.  Something I have noticed, however, is that while most of my students are extremely comfortable with technology, many of them do not know how to type a paper in Word or use PowerPoint.  I need to include instruction in the basics in my lesson plans so that students may complete the two essays that are part of our curriculum.  As a Baby Boomer myself, I will never be as comfortable with technology as they are, although I do love it!  I also find that many of my students do not have access to computers at home, so I need to be certain to give them time in class to complete their assignments.     

@Jaccirizzo

You point out a phenomeon that I too, often see from our Gen-Y'ers in the classroom; unfamiliarity with the Microsoft Office suite.  Although true that Gen Y students are more comfortable with technology, they also seem to have less patience with it.  Since they do not read manuals, they want to magically know how to be efficient with software suites....and RIGHT NOW.  If there is a learning curve, they will muddle through with using it to the extent of getting an assignment completed - but never really learning the power and flexibility of the software.  Try tying some tipe of quiz or exercise to answer "how to" questions about the software programs.  Individually or in groups, when there is either a competitive advantage in front of their peers - or points assigned; they will show a bit more interest and maybe walk away learning something.....

I completely agree with you! I have given mini lessons on Excel, Powerpoint and yes, even Word.  I have noticed a lack of patience for instruction regarding new programs, the students do not read manuals or written instruction - perhaps if the instruction was technology-based?

I concur. We have had discussions among campus leadership about offering computer tutoring. The naysayers cite the GenY stereotype of tech-savviness. The truth is many are capable and can adapt, and they have proficiency with "devices" such as Ipads and smartphones, but lack skills in excel, word, publisher and powerpoint. It's almost as if they are "digital immigrants" with these formats.

Sign In to comment