Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Socratic Method

The socratic method is completely different than how generation yers search and look up information on the web or elsewhere. With this method the instructor and student ask questions back and forth to try to come to a better understanding of a topic. It utilizes critical thinking and sometimes leads in an unexpected direction. You also must show patience and listen which can be challenging for generations yers.

Socratic is a good tool I think it help to stimulate the brain.

I could not agree more. It encourages full participation, critical analysis, overall confidence, and the ability to explore issues from myriad perspectives.

Open discussion is a great method of enticing student engagement. Provoking a discussion with a tactifully stated antagonizing question or scenario sometimes forces them to participate.

I used the Socratic Method extensively in my classes for all of the above mentioned reasons. I find it be useful because: 1) It engages students 2) It can force students to think about a topic from a different angle, and 3) It allows the discussion to follow its own course (i.e. the conversation on the same topic will vary from one class to the next. What I have found though is: 1) You need to be able to think quickly on your feet if either the discussion gets off course, becomes heated, or is wrong, and 2) It can appeal only to the "talkers" leaving the quieter ones out.

Jacquelyn ,
and sometimes being "provocative" in our questions & playing devil's advocate can really stir up their thinking.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The Socratic Method is a time-honored teaching technique. If it is inacted in the spirit of authentic inquiry it is immensely useful. Engaging students in thinking is of course the essence of the classroom. Getting them to see themselves as thinkers who have assumptions and beliefs is crucial to self-development.

Dennis,
this really is a powerful way to engage students with critical thinking & to further develop those skills.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree that discussion bring a lot of good information to the clasroom, as well as allow students to present their views

Ardiana,

and it also helps them learn to appreciate the diverse views & opinions of others.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe this method encourages them to develop[
analytical and problem solving skills that will
benefit them in the workplace.

J. E. Wright

I have found that the Socratic method has
helped me get the younger students involved.
Once they are immersed in a ttopic they tend
to put forth a great deal of energy to accomplish
whatever goals that are established.

J. E. Wright

J,
yes & also the development of critical thinking skills.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with this I like doing it because it get them to try to prove it to you and keeps things on the up and interesting.

I too like this type of activity. It challenges them and then does it again, making them really dig into their reasoning.

I agree. Participation is important to center focus on the subject matter. I believe that the more engaged a student is, the better their overall performance.

I completely agree Christopher. I routinely use the Socratic Method in my classes and my students love it. They feel engaged and also feel like their voice is being heard. It is great because you can bring in topics discussed in previous classes too, which helps an instructor assess if students remember critical information from class to class.

I am a new instructor as of 3 months, and I have question and answer sessions regularly to start class discussions. The students appear to more involved with these discussions.

I have students write down topics or terms there not familar with. They are required to find the answers. They each get a turn to quiz the other students and this encourgages class discussions where very one participates and shows leadership and responsibility.

Bonita,
and this is a great way to lead them into the topics of the day & really get them thinking in that direction.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment