Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

gen y students

some of the gen y students don't have a good learning envirment at home to develope the skills needed today.

As sad as it is, this so very true. A "good" learning enviroment would have been one without all the distractions of a disfunctional family. I won't go into my opinion on this subject but will say that a majority of the Gen Y students that I have encountered definently have an up hill struggle to be at the emotional and cognitive learning level of their predecessors.

The "skills" needed for "today" are still the skills learned from yesterday, (ability to read and comprehend the written word, basic math skills and logical thought processes) required to succeed out there in the big world. Our primary education system has failed to produce the quality level of students needed for our world to succeed.

Our goverments "no child left behind" program, IMHO, is an absolute failure, I am sorry but there are winners and there are loosers. The winners have put in their time and effort and should be recognized for their success and the loosers should then realize that it takes time and effort in order to succeed and be successful, not applauded for their "effort" and given a gold star so Johnny doesn't feel less than,

I can see where playing certain video games, such as flying war games can provide a skill that may crossover to a persons ability to remote pilot a drone over the middle east, but to say I have reached the pinnicle of playing Angry Birds. How about a persons ability to add 2 and 2 together without the use of a calculator,

Again it really does all begin at home and the enviroment there in,

I view this disconnect due as no fault of the student, this disconnect begins at home where the parents have failed to keep up with changes going on around them. Thus students are not given any challenges to develop their critical thinking skills. Parents have to step up their involvement in students learning plans.

So it goes back to what teachers have been saying for years .The parent is the first and most important instructor in a child’s life. Being the husband of a pre-school teacher I know that Parent is the first teacher and that education is a partnership between school and home is constantly preached.
At the career college level you can see the results. But we have no other option but to work with the students that are entrusted to us.

Sign In to comment