Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Distractions of Tech

For my students one of the biggest distraction risks comes with allowing students to use cell phones or even laptops with wireless capability in the classroom. Some instructors fear that incorporating these devices into a lesson will allow the students to be texting, surfing,but it has many other uses in class like research and to look up images of topics being discussed.

Michael,
I agree that these devices pose a serious distraction issue, but like you said, there is much value that can be found as well.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree and when they use it they must agree to me monitoring their usage. Keep them on engaged by walking near or behind them as you speak, make eye contact and ask them questions. They are smart and know how to be sneaky so you have to be one step ahead of them! I love it, keeps me on my toes!

Lynae,
I like the idea of the agreement to the use & monitoring of the same. Keeps everyone accountable.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Most of us as educators have already had to deal with "the bad" that accompanies "the good" when students are allowed to use cellphones/I-pads,etc in the classroom.
I have experimented with presenting "timed" exercises: students are allowed to use phones/I-pads [while I monitor as best I can... ], but they have a small amount of time to locate info pertaining to the task. They must find it, and then write the findings on an assignment sheet/lab sheet all within a timed period. This eliminates most "e-mailing/texting,etc ". It also brings out some friendly in-class competition as to how "surf-savvy" the class is.

John,
I like this idea & can help them learn some valuable skills from each other.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I my class I have the students take their cell phones out of class so they do not disturb the rest of the class

There has always been "Good vs. Bad" behavior in each of the generations of students. The main difference is how much the "outside world" through technology has infiltrated into the classroom. I agree shorter timed exercises and immediate on-going assessments are effective (even if it's a passing: That looks good!").

As a Gen Xer, I found it uncomfortable for me to see students using cell phones in a clinical setting-I thought of my instruction and thought,"we were never allowed cell phones in clinic". But now I see it can be useful for purposes such as contacting a patient if they are running late or contacting another patient to come in sooner. We had to use the "office" phone but i see the advantage of a cell phone, especially since we have 24 students in clinic. I see it can be a distraction if it is used for other personal non-urgent reasons and are told by the Coordinators their proper uses in a clinical setting.

Charles,
this is a good point & yes, we've always had students in our classes who did not want to pay attention or did not want to be there.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Janet,
good point & good illustration of how they can be used properly in this type of setting.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I've really started incorporating them into my lectures for looking up pertinent information and even images that they can share, and the students love it. It's also followed up with strict boundaries on what's exceptable in the classroom beyond what we're looking up.

The fascination with the image governs Internet usage. I encourage students to find sites that use absolutely no pictures. A challenge indeed, but the point is well made. Teaching writing, I want my students not to be obsessed with images, but with language, ideas, and complex thinking.

Joe,
this is a great idea for a class such as yours where you want to emphasize the power of words.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We all come across this from time to time and when I see them texting or not on a site of value related to the subject matter, I will take away their phone. Students regardless of which generation still needs to know the rules before they can break the rules........

I agree with that, but I strongly monitor how often and why they are on their phones. I will pause and ask them why are they on their phones,if it is for a legitimate reason, they show me; but if it's not, they respectfully apologize and put it away. It all in the way that one addresses the student.

-Gabriel

Sign In to comment