Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Limited technology

A situation that can become an issue would be when the student does not have internet at home and is unable to complete some of the computer assignments, due to lack of computer access.

Mary,
yes, as we have a greater diversity in socio-economics in our classes we must be aware of this & see how we can help or offer alternative solutions.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This is an issue at my school. We are a design and technology school, yet the technology we have at the school is not that up-to-date, and I find that many of my students have difficulty completing assignments because they do not have the equipment they need to do so. Some of them can only access the internet and email through their phones - not exactly the best medium for writing a paper! The problem is not usually lack of internet, but lack of hardware (e.g. a computer) with my students.

Melville,
this is an interesting thing about this generation. They are tech savvy for entertainment purposes, but often are lacking in the tech savvy needed for work & functioning.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I totally agree. I feel the parents have to go back to basic survival training for Generation Y or they will be lost when it comes to survival skill or common sense skills.

Yes, wherever we can help with small reminders to make our students think outside of technology on everyday common sense issues I think this is good and part of our job to help form well rounded students. Working in Dental Hygiene we have to be able to help Gen yers also understand the other generations so they can reach them as they teach them. I appreciate this class giving an overview of all the "Gens".

Sign In to comment