Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Showing different styles work

As a boomer instructor I can show my students how things were done and how modern technology works hand in hand. Reasoning helps when you try to convience Y students they need to diversify the way they think and work. First the why, to get knowledge, and then the how; jobs, money, etc. With the introduction of computers into the classroom the how can be researched faster and with a greater variety of sources.

Lauren,
I really like your emphasis on the why & then the how. I do think this is very important to the Gen Y learner.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have learned so much from working with a diverse student population. In observing my students drift off, I have often changed my approach spontaneously to move to a more hands-on or small group discussion. I am now incorporating more of these opportunities on a daily basis rather than waiting to see how my students will respond to strictly lecture. It took me awhile to get out of my comfort zone as a boomer but now I am enjoying teaching more and looking for more creativity in the classroom.

I am glad to say that when I was in school, technology wasn’t a “BIG THING”, however, over the years it is. Without a cell phone, computer, and easy access to things some of these new generations would be LOST. The main thing with us older adults is not standing still and learns technology as times changes so that we can compete with the young ones. I have come across too many people may age who doesn’t know how to use a computer other than to play the built in games on them. We have to stop being afraid and move toward “CHANGE”.

Sign In to comment