Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Styles

In consideration of the different learning styles I feel that it is extremely important to use training delivered with each learning style so you reach out to all students.

I believe this to be true. My classes usually comprise of at least three of the generational groups. To concentrate on any one group is unfair to the others.
Granted, with time, Gen Yers make up a growing majority, but quite often older students fall short in the technological arena (some barely know more than the computer basics). I've found that presenting material involving the different styles of learning helps – giving everyone a chance to engage in their own way.
Quite often older students are intimidated by computers and gadgets, especially when they see the ease with which their younger counterparts navigate through the technology.
On the other hand, their work/life experience allows the older students to express themselves more effectively so their issues can be resolved more quickly.
Many Yers have difficulty expressing themselves in structured sentences (being accustomed to texting grammar, etc.) so they sometimes get hung up on fairly simple concepts and don't know how to ask the right questions.

At our automotive technical school we give all of the new students a Learning Style Assessment the first day of class. Most of our students are hands on / tactile learners. What we gain from this is a opening of doors between the student and instructor on day one. The instructors understand the different learning styles and how to teach to each one. The student now understands what their particular learning style is and can ask for specific help in a course subject when they need help.

I feel this very important to gather this imformation early, day one or two. We have all three areas covered. Seems most of gen Y wants hands on training.

I find teaching in an adult school that the students are from all different generations. I agree that the training needs to be taught in many different styles. This style of teaching takes more class time. Class room time is always an issue and must be managed properly. Tutoring helps to save some class time. Dealing with the needs of all the student during class time can be a real concern and wast alot of time. Offering tutoring is also a good way to reach some students in all generations.

during class orientation I ask the students to provide me with some background information on themselves so I can have an understanding on their past experiences.
I then poll the class and ask them to raise their hands if they learn well from the four different kinds of styles.
I tailor the class to meet their learning styles and have had good success.
Many of the students advise me that I am the first to show an interest in how they learn and that they appreciate being taught in the style that they learn the best with.

I feel this very important to gather this imformation early, day one or two. We have all three areas covered. Seems most of gen Y wants hands on training along with interactions and is important to see their views.

At times I have every generation in one class. I find it difficult to have enough time to hit on every learning style. Any suggestions?

Mokii,
sometimes you have to fall back to more of a shotgun approach & use a good variety of styles that hopefully will reach everyone at some level.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I'm not so sure that learning style is so much tied to a generation. Example: I am more auditory; my wife is more visualization. Same generation, different styles.

Robert,
yes that is definitely true; the learning styles are not limited to generations. In general the way we prefer to receive information is based more on generation.

Dr. Ryan Meers

When you teach to different learning styles, all the students tend to pick up on the learning styles that are not there own, more easily

Regardless of learnig style or generational orientation, a good instructor will always adapt and change his or her teaching style to try to relate to the student.

willy,
I agree that one of the hallmarks of an effective instructor is adaptability & flexibility as well as a grounding in effective instructional technique.

Dr. Ryan Meers

As a teacher or a health care provider you must be able to adjust you’re your teaching style for the person learning the lecture, style, or instruction can understand. When I teach use visual aid, hand held equipment, eye contact, and my voice. This way I know that I am reaching as of my students.

Not only is it important to incorporate a variety of training styles, it is also important that an instructor in attuned to the over all focus of the students. In today's day and age, many students are attending a "trade-like" school either after college or in place of. In my experience, many of them are not the ones funding the education. Funding an education out of one's own pocket can impact the level of focus given to any one topic. As an instructor, it is important to be aware of any lack of focus from any one student and use methods to regain the focus in a positive and constructive manner.

I also agree the first step in the classroom is to now your crowd . At that point you can dial into the learning styles in techniques needed to effectivly teach the class.

Students learn differently. A variety of methods should be utilized in the classroom. We still have a number of students who learn through demonstrations etc. Each lesson should contain strategies/methodoligies that are applicable to all learners not just geared to a specific group. Many of the classes at technical or vocational schools include a variety of different cohort groups as discussed in this lesson. However, this reminds me of an old Chinese Proverb:

"I hear and I forget; I see and I remember;
I do and I learn!"

All lesson plans should embrace all learning styles.

a way that seems to identify a class style is class introductions on day one, the answers can be very revealing.I do this often and it allows me to see who my students are.

Sign In to comment