Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generations

It's amazing to connect these individuals to the ir surroundings. Their manerisms are distintively connected to their upbringing and deviation from this seams rare.

Robert,
I think you point out the discomfort all of us have when we are forced out of our comfort zones. We don't like to deviate from this. So the challenge for instructors is to create a comfortable environment that's familiar, while still challenging our students to push themselves further.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I was also thinking about new types of addiction such as addiction to gadgets with changes in brain chemistry.
Yes I think Gen Y is easily distracted because of those changes.

francisco,
I agree that this is a concern we face in today's classroom.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I find generation X and generation y to remarkable but yet challenging. I am a baby boomer and my son is a (Gen Y)and I have a mixture of students from (Gen X and Gen Y). The deversities in using their minds, hand& eye coordination, comprehension are so different that teaching them requires dedication and take nothing for granted in their learning. When you think they did not get it, they did. When you think they did understand, they tuned you out.

I can relate to this because I have students ranging from baby boomers to Gen Y. Gen Y students are quick to use their gadgets for any and all information, etc. They seem to me to be most visual learners due to the constant use of their electronic modes of information and are highly adept in finding needed information.

Ximena,
and what a great opportunity you have for the various generations to learn from one another. The Boomers can learn more about the use of technology & hopefully the Yers can learn more about the value of slowing down sometimes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I can totally relate with this. Gen X and more so Y need to be stimulated much more in class. I am constantly trying to keep things active in class and at the same time covering everyones different learning styles.

Sign In to comment