Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning in a comfortable environment

It is helpful to have students work in pairs and in small groups to lower the affective filter and create a more comfortable environment for learning.

When pairing students for hands-on training I try to pair ELL's with each other, as well as with English speaking students who are more understanding of the difficulty for foreign speaking students. When 2 ELL's are working together I find that they interact much better than if they were working with someone who wasn't sympathetic to their needs. I also find that the English speaking student is also learning about cultural differences as well as the ELL student learning about confidence.

Warren,
Yes, you take the threat of making a mistake out of the Learning Equation. Creating the right atmosphere is the foundation to learning. You have good instincts.

Arlene Muller

Janice,
Learning occurs when their is a comfortable classroom environment. Thank you for making it happen in your classroom.

Arlene Muller

Absolutely. And it also places the center of the room dynamics on the student. ESL classes should be mostly student-centered, particularly conversation classes. it gives the student a sense of empowerment, that they can take responsibility for their learning. It also makes for a more comfortable learning environment in which communication is given priority over delivery. Instructor guidance is important, but should not be invasive or interfere with the communication flow. Correction of utterances should also prioritize major mistakes that impede communication, all, again in trying to create the environment that you are referring to.

Reynaldo,

Yes, the comfortable learning environment is one that creates a safe place for students to make mistakes. I like that you understand that communication is given priority over delivery.

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment