Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In teaching a technical class there is terminology used by the trade, understanding of how the theory has evolved into the use it has to day & the hands-on application. I have noticed that just because a student understands the terminology & theory does not mean they will be better in applicaiton. My ELL students are better in a hands on environment and helps with the understanding of the terminology & the evolution and advancement of the theory. Given time they teach each other and learning evolves.

Ronald,

Wow, I love your thinking and I agree. Vocabulary alone does not equate learning of theory and application. It sounds like your patience in the classroom is a Hallmark feature. It is amazing how much students can learn from each other.

Arlene Muller

I teach in a culinary setting in a variety of classes. Most have both written and practical assessments. For the practical assessments there seems to be little need to make any accomodations as long as they understand what the expectations are-this is accomplished with all students by providing in advance a grading rubric that spells it all out and give them time to understand those expectations. For the written exams we let them know in advance if they have testing issues to speak to the instructor(me) and we can then discuss with administration how to handle those issues, ie., provide a translation, some to read the exam, taking it at a different time or place to provide a longer time to take the exam, etc.

Van,

The success at your school seems to stem from the support that you receive from your administration. It seems like everyone is on the same page. Listing all the expectations up front also seems to work for you. Congratulations!

Arlene Muller

I like Jeanne’s response very much. I noticed there are many similarities to how I've conducted my biology classes. For each unit, students are given a packet of material with the schedule of readings, assignments, and activities by day. The organization of the packet satisfies many accommodations for students on Individualized Education Programs (IEP) and 504 plans. What is nice is that it is also very helpful to ESL learners and to learners who need no accommodations at all. I like the simplicity of making a "whole class" accommodation.

One of the activities at the beginning of a unit is always key vocabulary. For all students, I allow them to use the key vocabulary on the end of unit assessment. ESL students are encouraged to translate key terms into their native language if that will help them learn them better.

Since students can use the key vocabulary list on their final unit assessment, most of them are motivated to complete it.

One other thing I should mention about the vocabulary is that a few key terms are written on the board every day and at the start of class I let students provide definitions and then use the terms in context. It is a good, daily ice breaker, it’s not difficult, and it reinforces key vocabulary for the unit.

Rob

Robert,
I love the organization you are teaching your students. Your simplicity is outstanding!

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment