Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attention Deficit Disorder

If medication exists that helps cut down on distractions and attention problems, shouldn't students with ADHD be required to take that medication? Why should we provide accommodations if they aren't doing their part?

I totally agree. If there is a way to solve the problem and they don't do it then why is it up to me to accommodate them. On the other hand if there is a reason they cant take these drugs then I would be more then happy to work with them to the best of there means.

jay,
Pharmaceuticals aren't always the answer. They don't work for all and don't work for all in the same way. Many adults go their entire lives not knowing they have a diagnosis (like ADD/ADHD) and how to compensate for the functional limitations which may result in a classroom setting.

Sarah Smoger

RX medications are not always the answer for every person diagnosed. There are many things that people diagnosed with ADD/ADHD can do to help without taking RX meds. Sometimes meds are not taken because of other medical reasons or maybe even no health insurance.

Renee,
You are so right. There are so many wonderful books and strategies that can be employed in a person's life that will enable them to be successful. As a Licensed Professional Counselor in private practice, I specialized and worked with young children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and their parents. Early intervention can make a huge difference.

Sarah Smoger

My new adopted son has been diagnosed with ADHD. If I didn't have personal experience with this I would never have believed that it is real! He is only 5 and starting Kindergarten in August. My experience with him and this course have changed my attitude about ADHD. Students deserve to have instruction that works for them taking into consideration their challenge. That said, the student should also learn how to manage it as well. Both instructor and older students can work in tandem to make certain the learning takes place. Being patient and showing empathy will go a long way and gain the trust of the student.

Lynae,

You bring up a valuable point. I have done some research on the subject, and as many people have said, medication is not always the best solution for students (children and adults) with ADHD or ADD. Some people try a few different kinds of medication without positive results. That being said, some students benefit (or would benefit) the most from behavioral therapy where they could learn to manage their symptoms and tendencies. With the techniques learned from such sessions, instructors and students can work on methods in the classroom to appropriately accommodate the student so they can receive the best eduction.

In my class room environment we are set in a kitchen. ADHD is a good out let for them. there are many different things going on. In lecture and demo classes it is more challenging. So we have to be creative to keep them involved with the tour.

Lynae,
Thanks for sharing! I agree, when teacher and student can work together, students can flourish.

Sarah Smoger

Herman (Lonnie),
Great insight. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah Smoger

Patrick,
Exactly. As a faculty member, universal design can play an important role in keeping students engaged in the learning process.

Sarah Smoger

In my opinion, I believe it would depend on the strength of the medication. As to whether or not it should be allowed. If it is possible to determine that from the student. I've dealt with quite a few of students with both conditions. I've also experienced students actually running out of meds, with no money to purchase more medication. That was a terrible experience. I work I an automotive environment ATTENTION means life or death a lot of the time.

I have a good friend with ADHD and I have had a student or two with this disability. It is not our place to make students take medications. It has also been mentioned that meds don't work for everyone.

We must have an open door of communication with our students so they feel comfortable speaking with us, regardless of the disability. We are not mind-readers and if we don't know, we can't help them. Once we get the legal documentation, we can move forward with providing them appropriate, feasible accomodations.

Wayne,
The campuses I work with also have programs of study where inattention can cause serious physical injury. If we see an issue, or a pattern forming with a particular student, then we make sure to address it and consider options on how the student can remain safe.

Sarah Smoger

As an instructor who has been diagnosed with ADD. I find that meds are not always the best case to help problems I face. I have had coaching that helps me to determine my best course of action. it is up to me to set up and use some of my tools that allow better time management that meds will not change.

I am an Instructor and I have ADHD and OCD. The meds mad me feel funky as I was really diag with it in my 30's. I was the quite one in school and struggled with school and staying focused on the task at hand. I have my normal job and then my self job as I have to keep the class running and when in lecture it is a conscience effort to keep to the plan as I can be distracted and take them a long way around a short hill. So when I come across this I can relate to a lot of disabilities students my have. Its just like everyone does not look at the same picture in the same light and so I adapt to the point they see it in the light they are looking at it!

Requiring it is tricky but we have to make sure that everyone is involved in the decision - parents, doctors and students. I used to be a summer camp director and I cannot tell you the number of times that the parent decided to drop the medication when they went to camp for a week. By about day 3 we were ready to send the child home because they could not control themselves. This is an ongoing discussion and sometimes the ADA officer may need to have a conversation asking if the person might want to consider taking the medications again. This should not be a teacher only conversation.

Mindfulness and cognitive behavior therapy have been proven to be successful treatment modalities in treating ADHD with out medications. As a child I was given meds for being ADHD and did better in school when I didn't take them. As an adult learner simply being challenged kept me interested and focused.

If the instructor is trained to handle such of an issue in class then the medications will not be a problem; however if the person has uncontrollable behavior issue then medication should be concered.

i agree, how can we accomadate if they dont want to take their medication?

Sign In to comment