Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

federal law

I am very aware that the law that mandates 504 plans (Americans with Disabilities Act) was revised to include college. What I am wondering is does every college have to offer accomodations and who oversee these plans?

Valaire,
Whoa. Wait. Back up. 504 Plans are something that may be developed under Section 504 of the Rehab Act (and even that isn't mandated by Federal law, although some states have adopted the idea. When they exist, 504 plans only impact on the K-12 system (and are the "first cousins" of the Individualized Education Plans - IEPs - that ARE mandated by Federal law for children in Special Education). Both the ADA and Section 504 have ALWAYS included colleges. And every college does have to offer accommodations, but NOT under a "504 plan" -- accommodations are delivered in higher education as a means of assuring civil rights, not special education.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Thank you for clarifying that. I was under the understanding that higher ed need to develop some type of form for accomodations such as a 504 plan. Your clarification makes a lot more sense now. :)

Valaire,
The obligation, in higher education, is to assure access by providing support services (as needed) to make sure that the student is not subject to discrimination. That requires individual consideration, but not a written plan. The 504 plans and IEP's generally detail how a student will be managed. In higher ed, we expect the student to manage for himself/herself, while we assure the right circumstances!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment