Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

disabilities

you've added things that I had no idea was a disability. thanks so much for putting this course together. I really do not have any questions at this time. I have gotten alot more understanding just by taking the course. This made me see things in other light and be more flexable. thank you again

Cecil,
Glad to hear you found the class helpful, Cecil. My experience is that once you have gotten this kind of orientation, a lot of issues that you may have noticed but attributed elsewhere will start to come into focus for you. And it will be your students who will benefit!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree this CEE helped me understand disabilities. We can not ask our students if they have any kind of disabilities. Most students will not self identify having issues. I do work harder with a challenged student and have been careful not to single out the student.

Charles,
I am not sure whether you are speaking of a federal requirement or a school policy when you say, "we cannot ask our students if they have any kind of disabilities". If it is a school policy, you way want to get more information about how you CAN (are allowed to) access information that will be important in appropriately serving a student. But there is nothing in the federal law that specifically prohibits asking questions. There are strictures regarding how you use the information, and there are certainly good practice standards in terms of when and how questions should be asked. But I hate to think that you have been left with the impression that any discussion of disability is forbidden.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment