Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

add

don't be to quick to judge students before you know the complete issue about your students.

Terry,
Agreed... and I would go one step further. Keep in mind that you may NEVER know the complete issue about every student. That's OK, too. Deal with the behavior you observe, not speculation as to its cause.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Fully agreed. It is not our job as educators to diagnose, but rather to accomodate.

It is important that each educator fully understand the resources avaialable to them when a disability is suspected. Treat every student with respect and use your school counselor and all other resources to map out a plan that will help identify and accomodate your students needs.

Dave,
There is absolutely nothing I can add to what you have said here, Dave. Maybe YOU should be facilitating this class! (wink)

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with Mr Fruit and Mr Keil. Identifying dissabilities is difficult, but necessary to help students in the learning process

Mark,
I would encourage you to seek out the resources within your institution who are charged with supporting students with disabilities. They are the folks who not only can identify when a disability-related problem exists, but also make specific suggestions as to what might best help a given student.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think its better to just listen and observe the student before saying anything as it relates judgement.

Jeff ,
We would hope that "listening and observing" would be a courtesy granted to all students. The problem is that it is sometimes difficult to determine the cause of behaviors observed!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Great point. It is also important to remember that the student has to self-identify. It is sometimes tempting to assume a diagnosis based on a set of issues a student presents in a forum or an email. We can't ask the student if they have been diagnosed with anything. This is a challenge but it is what we have to abide by.

- Maritza

Maritza,
Actually, I am not sure that having a diagnosis would help all that much anyhow. What you need to know is what difficulties the student is experiencing and how you might be able to assist!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I find that the more approachable and open with students I am, the quicker they open up. One key I have found over the past few years is to approach subjects or lessons from different view points. some people are visual learners (I call them the "show me" people) while others are open up and pour people (they absorb just by hearing the info). Trick is to learn which types your students are as quickly as possible or you could risk loosing them.

Matthew,
Great tips. Have you ever explored any of the information on individual learning styles (visual learners, auditory learners, tactile learners, and so on)? You might find it interesting as it relates to your teaching style.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment