Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Helping Others In the Educational Environment Understand

I find it challenging to help others even in an educational environment understand these concepts. In addition it can be difficult for instructors/teachers to be discreet or not feel put off or as if they are giving unfair assistance to students who qualify for certain reasonable accommodations.

Jennifer ,
Why would you think it would be easier to make folks understand in an educational environment, Jennifer? Unfortunately, a lot of the prejudice and bigotry that exists against people with disabilities is ingrained in societal norms. "Discrimination by neglect" -- the exclusion of people with disabilities because they are largely invisible in our society -- is rampant.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

It is important to recognize the challenges of each student and address them privately.

That's true for all students, Patricia. What makes it different when the student has a disability -- if anything?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

There is a sneaky bias that slips into the fieldin which I teach. In the culinary industry, and from there into the culinary school setting, there is a sect which is viewed for the most part favorably: the "old school". One of the tenets of this old school outlook is that you just get it done, no matter what it takes. While this can be a valuable outlook, the bias comes out when old school chefs do not believe the playing field should be balanced. "Nobody helped me" being a common refrain.

I accept all challenges and responsibilities as an educator... my only worry is that I am unable to meet their learning outcomes. Is there another website that can help me with my teaching methods for students with disabilities?

Michael,
Trust me -- it isn't just in the culinary industry that you hear that refrain. When I hear an older professor recite the litany of hardships he had to endure during his training ("and I had to walk to school every day, barefoot, ten miles each way -- uphill!") I always smile sweetly and say, "thank goodness you didn't have to deal with disability-related issues as the same time. Think how much harder still that would make it!" Then I tell them WHY they are going to provide accommodations. GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

It is wonderful that you are willing to take responsibility as an educator -- don't fall into the trap of thinking it is ALSO your responsibility for the success of the learner, Janice. The one thing you should never do is change the learning OBJECTIVES of your course. You want students with disabilities to be held to the same standard of achievement. If you have done everything you can to see that they have an equal CHANCE to succeed, then it is up to the student to supply the raw talent and potential that will achieve those objectives.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I feel that it is important to recognize the challenges of each student and address them privately.I don't drop my standards for what I except from my students. It has been a hard thing to over come when I see them having a hard time not to drop standaeds but with encouragement they seem to always pull through.

Brian,
I agree. We do no one any favors when we give away grades for "effort." Students with disabilities should be respected and recognized for their potential, and given a chance to reach and demonstrate that potential to us and to themselves.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

When it comes to students who a disability, whether it be physical, mental, or a learning disability, it is imperative for that the level of standards remain the same for all students. I believe this is imperative for them to feel as part of the cohesive learning group and their self-esteem. I announce to students in the first class period that it is imperative that they address any of these issues privately with their instructors so that they can be successful during the quarter, but do not expect the learning objectives and outcome expectations to change. Just maybe the method in which the material is facilitated to the class or the the person individually.

Melissa,
I think your openness to discuss their issues -- IN PRIVATE -- is absolutely the right way to go. Letting students know that you respect them enough to treat them as having equal potential (and thus expecting the same level of achievement) is what students want to hear. Knowing that you understand that disability does not diminish that potential, and that you are ready to discuss accommodation needs is what they NEED to hear.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment