Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reflection #1, on not labeling a student by his or her disability

This question made me think of a remark a co-worker said. She had brought a young man to my area, to start an ASVAB practice test Internet program. As he entered the room ahead of her, she whispered to me,"He's slow." She turned and left the room. That remark did not make me treat him any different, as I was leading him through the sign-in and starting of the practice. I do not know if he heard what she had said, but he did not come back anymore.

If we label students from the start, by their disabilities or what we think they might be, we will not see what is underneath that. Focusing on what the students can do, will help us help them with what they cannot do or have a hard time doing.

You are right, Pamela. Preconceived notions do more to limit the potential of students than native talent. I'm glad you knew better than to fall into that trap, but sorry for the student who may have become discouraged.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have been an auto collision instructor for about eight years and have had students with both physical and mental handicaps. This school is a "hands on" environment,in a very broad field.This allows me to guide different students in different directions according to thier strong points. Judging thier strengths and weakness takes time and much instruction. It is amazing how well some do with a little encouragement and praise.

Rickey,
That kind of individual attention to individual strengths and weaknesses makes you the ideal instructor, Rickey. You are right. Disability is less an issue that interest, industry, and fortitude. It is always nice to see someone have a chance to maximize their strengths, instead of focusing only on their weaknesses.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree that labels can be detrimental...and if the student over-identifies with a label that is given to them by folks in a position of power it can act as a self fulfilling prophecy. I have instructed several students with disabilities and found that when communication about their limits in capability are discussed openly and they understand the requirements of the course, very few issues have reared their heads. The nature of my field is to value the individual and recognize abilities and play to them. By playing to a student's strengths, instead of focusing on their limitations, we stand to better empower them to accomplish their goals.

Ellie,
I agree that labels are a problem, but often it is only in the attitude and assumption behind the label (both by the student and by others). Years ago, the field of special education moved away from using labels because they wanted to avoid having children stigmatized. They found that kids in special education were treated the same whether they were called (for example) "learning disabled" or "differently abled" (one of the popular euphemisms of the time. In the years since, we have come to recognize that disability is a difference, not a social disease, and that not acknowledging the legitimate nature of that difference can be detrimental, too, as it may lead to students being hesitant to seek appropriate services.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree. Unfortunately, labeling a student by his or her disability can alter our outlook on said individual, which can easily lead to exclusion of the student. Instead, we as instructors, must practice including all students with disabilities so they can achieve the same goals as every other student.

We also cannot give other students the opportunity to judge, undermine, or exclude a student with a disability based on such labels. Leaving labels and judgements outside of the classroom will ensure that everyone works together and has the patience to focus their attention on learning and working as a team so everyone benefits.

Sign In to comment