Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The willingness to assist.

It seems to me that, no matter the disability, as long as you the teacher are willing to show the student that you are interested in making sure they get a fair shake they will respect and appreciate your initiative. I have dealt with most of the different types of students that have been listed in this CEE and simple gestures and patience has gained me and the student the most of their time in my class.

Garrett,
I cannot think of a better response -- or a better attitude! -- from an instructor. You are exactly right. There is nothing more that you can or should do than to treat each student as a respected individual. I am sure your students are glad for having you there.

Some disabilities make it extremely difficult for a student to successfully complete a particulare program. In particular, in the vocational field, physical diabilities can be quite challenging. However, if a student is willing to make the effort, it is our duty as educators to do what we can to help them succeed. These are not problems, but opportunities. The satisfaction realized by helpling someone overcome there personal challenges to achieve their dreams are well worth the difficulties.

I couldn't agree with you more. We are in the business of creating opportunities and facilitating options. We should never let our limited view become limits for someone else.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I am also in the vocational field and think attitude is by the far the most important thing for the Student and the Instructor. Ask the student what has worked for them in the past and try to accomidate it at all possible. I have also found that treating equal id hard to do. I have to make a conciouse effort to not detail meaning of words or explain questions in a different way during tests for certain students with disabilities. I think fair and equal treatment makes the disabled student feel better and puts them on a equal playing field.

Chad,
I am all for treating students equally when it comes to respecting their potential. But equal treatment doesn't always mean "the same" treatment. Don't be afraid to provide alternative explanations or assistance if it will mean that the student with a disability will better understand. You don't need to pretend they are just like everyone else -- they aren't. We just want to focus on the fact that they can hopefully DO what everyone else can do, given the right circumstances and environment.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I too am a vocational instructor, and when it comes to some hands-on tasks,providing assistance as per their accomidation plan can present issues. I clearly recall one student that ,given his plan, required me to spend more time with him during his task than with the other students. This created an atmosphere of discontent with others as they viewed this assistance as "special treatment". Given privacy laws I could not explain to the rest of the class why I spent more time with this student. This perception resulted in a growing animosity towards this person. We can all agree this is not the correct response, but it can have an affect on the class as a hole.

Tony,
I would have to know more about the student's disability and the kind of assistance that was assigned before I could give much useful input. But, generally speaking, the kind of "plan" you are describing is a function of the K-12 system, not the postsecondary system. I wonder if this student might have been in some dual enrollment program? Under the special education laws, you might be asked to give different, and more, instruction to a student with a disability. In postsecondary settings, there should be other accommodations that can be made that do not detract YOUR attention from the other students along the way.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

i agree, each student has different needs to beable to learn and retain the material, glenn

Glenn,
I like the idea of looking for strengths instead of focusing on weaknesses. That's a great way to find and support options for students with disabilities.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Our students are only limited to our ability to adapt to them. They already live in there own world and have learn to over come so many obstacles. If we as instructors had some of these challenges I would probably say the tables would turn. A different veiw would shape quickly!!!!

Greg,
Walking a mile in someone else's shoes is always a good way to get a feel for the challenges -- and opportunities -- faced by another.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Indeed, patience is the most important attribute when dealing with disabilities. Simply providing that little extra time or instruction can alleviate some of the day to day frustration that these individuals experience.

Zita,
Agreed. There is a lovely old adage that has been circulating in one form or another for years. You can check it out at http://www.specialfriendsonline.com/content/?/Information/Poems_Quotes/Disability_Beatitudes/

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have read all of the post is this forum & I agree with treating all students with the same respect, I try to point out the positives & when I do have to correct someone I try to do it with positive feedback. I think everyone has some sort of problem in their life even if it is not a disability it can still effect their learning.

Jaylene,
You have just named one of the most important issues in supporting students with disabilities -- the fact that they are more LIKE every other student than they are different. All students have different circumstances that may pose challenges for them. For some, the challenge may be finding ways to work around their disability. But that has to do with the cause of the difficulty, not necessarily it's impact on learning. Those are generic among the students we serve.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

The willingness to help is in all of our genes. Two of my children have learning disabilities and because of teachers and instructors that care they are successful. I became an instructor to help others. My problem is getting the student that needs help to ask for it. Company policy is not to speak about students to other employees, or to ask students directly if they need help. Many students that need help won't ask for it. What can we do, what tools do you use do get them to open up?

Douglas,
Years ago, I heard a presentation at which the presenter was discussing how to help (in this case, counsel) people who are in need of help but don't know how or aren't comfortable asking for assistance. When they opened things up for questions, someone said, "You have given us great information about what is happening for these individuals and what kind of support they may need. But can you give us some techniques we can use in getting them to open up in the first place?" The speaker replied, "There IS not technique beyond the attitude." If you are perceived as genuine and caring, and if you make it clear that you respect ALL students for their abilities, it make it that much easier for students to feel safe in coming to you for assistance. One specific tip... try adding a sentence like this to your course syllabus: "If you have any concerns about you performance in this class or about any difficulties you are having in navigating through this course, please feel free to contact me directly at ___" and then give them a phone number, an office location, and an email address. Make it easy for them to reach out!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Colleges, universities and school must feel the responsibilities to provide the appropriate accommodations needed for the disables. It is the ethical thing to do.

Sign In to comment