Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Disabilities and the Online Environment

It can be challenging to provide students with the accommodations needed to be successful. This challenge is greater still in the Online environment. Because instructors must manage a virtual classroom, and an asynchronous environment, relating directly to students becomes a skill of great experience. Tone and inflection cannot be seen online; physical qeues cannot be seen online; voice can be heard by the instructor but often not the student. When a student in this environment has a disability, they may even have a more difficult time expressing it to or sharing with the appropriate staff or instructors. Sometimes the disability will be stated the wrong way, for example in a Discussion Forum or a chat, in front of other students. Then the instructor must work hard to overcome that public knowledge. Often, school administration and instructors will have to speak with the student by phone to fully understand their needs. They may even need to seek the assistance of a parent or guardian to the student, who has been allowed by FERPA disclosure to assist. On the flip side, some students with disabilities may find the online environment a perfect place because they are only recognized by the value of their contribution and not by any appearence they may have. Online offers both challenges and benefits to students with disabilities and their faculty and staff.

Well said, Cheryl. You have nicely outlined both the difficulties and some of the advantages of the online environment for students with disabilities. It is clear you speak from experience. Your sensitivity to these issues suggests that the students you work with will find an understanding and student-centered instructor. They are lucky to have you.

There was a student who attended the college where I work, who was hearing impaired; he wore hearing aids in both ears. He had the advantage, though, of being able to also read lips and communicate in sign language. He had to take an online course one quarter, and worked in my area; I also work with online students, helping the online coordinator. Anyway, when he had to write his introduction discussion, I told him to tell everyone about being hearing impaired but also his abilities to read lips and sign. When he checked the discussion the next day, he could not believe the number of people in the class who responded to him. There were several who had children or siblings who were hearing impaired, having only the ability communicate in sign or reading lips. I'm sure that when the instructor saw this conversation, it put him/her more at ease with the whole class.

Pamela,
You've just highlighted one of the good things and bad things about online classes for students with disabilities, Pamela -- their disability is invisible in the online environment unless they choose to share it. Sharing is can have some very positive benefit (as your student found), but knowing that "nobody is gonna' know" can be very intoxicating to a student who has been fighting people's perceptions all his/her life. We DO need to know if a student with a disability is taking online classes, but sometimes they hesitate to tell us!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

As a chef and career advisor I have worked with students and graduates that have disabilities. I've had bipolar, high functioning autism, PTS (post traumatic stress)Vets, ADHD, and also physical disabilities. We can discriminate anyone, however when it comes down to securing an externship, it has been very difficult.However, I have reached out to local dining groups that do employ citizens with disabilities and a chef that will work together with them to teach them industry skills.

I have been fortunate to undestand some of these disabilities due to my father having bi-polar, uncles that have served our country suffering with PTS and a dear friend of mine, her son has autism. It's so important to listen first and speak clear. Address potential issues that may arise and see how I can assist them best. People with disbalities just want a far chance.

Thank you,
Cynthia De La Puente

Cynthia,
Wow! You have both the experience and the attitude that creates REAL opportunities for someone with a disability. Your willingness to seek out a meaningful practical experience for your students with disabilities and your success in finding someone else who is as empathetic and caring as yourself speaks well of you, of your colleagues... and maybe even of the human race! Thank you, for leading by your example.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Thank you Dr. Jarrow! I try, that's all I can do because it's dear to my heart. I too had to endure chemo and having Lupus and Asthma I saw alot of discrimnation and therfore, nver opend myself to say anything in fear of being treated different. I had seen so many other people in previous jobs say they wouldn't discrimate, but saw the opposite!

Thank you!

Sign In to comment