Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interesting Perspective

By the course information, I would be labeled a Gen Y.  I was born in 1981.  However, I feel more like I fit better with the Gen X description.  While I did have access to computers fairly early in life, they did not become part of my everyday existance until High school.  I didn't have my first cell phone until I was 19.  I also witnesses the transition from paper to computers since I lived in a less affluent, rural area.  My dad has been in the computer industry for over 35 years and I grew up learning about it, but I also learned how to do research the "old-fasioned way".   While technology is now a "basic necessity" rather than a luxury, many students are not properly taught how to use it.  As a librarian, I see many students who are comfortable with technology and the internet, but have no idea how to "do research".  Technology does not replace learning how to find and use information.  Technology now just means there are more ways to find it and MUCH more information to find.  So therefore, we must also know how to decide if that information is relevant, accurate and current.  I have come to live more like a Gen Y, but I don't feel like I was a Gen Y as I was growing up.  I know there are lots of generalizations in the descriptions, but as an introvert, I actually hate small groups and prefer to work by myself.  I do multi-task quite often, but I also feel myself becoming overwhelmed at times when I try to multi-task or I loose concentration and forget what I'm doing.  

As a librarian, I know the importance of using technology to find information, but the students don't seem interested in learning the process behind research, they just want the information given to them.  I guess this is where I need to find ways to make research seem more FUN!

Sign In to comment