Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Multiple Styles of Learning at once

As a culinary instructor, I find it challenging to keep all of my students engaged in the subject matter at the same time. During Demo/lecture days, I find it hard to keep all of the students entertained with what we are trying to demo. I understand that not everyone learns the same way, so I try to go over the lesson 2-4 different ways. I have noticed that when I take that approach, it's a more effective way of teaching the entire class. Especially with having such a broad age range in students.

-Gabriel Alvarez
Le Cordon Bleu Chicago

Gabriel,

Thank you for this post. You could try to engage students in the demos by having one or two of them up front with you doing what you direct them to do rather than doing it yourself. You can also have a series of prepared questions that you ask students at key points in the demo. They do not always have to be about the specific task of the day. The questions can be about previous activities, homework assignments, etc.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree that it is difficult to keep everyone engaged at the same time. Finding multiple ways to show the students is key. This tactic is great for being a culinary instructor, because there are MANY many way to come up with a similar final product. I also encourage the students to come up during demo to attempt the skill that I just showed them. I feel that engaging them immediately with HANDS ON interaction works very well. ANd even though all the students may not have the opportunity to practice the skill at that time, during demo, they do enjoy watching each other practice for the first time. That seems to keep their interest!!

Jean,

You may want to consider requiring students to evaluate the skills of other students. This will keep those that are not currently practicing engaged in the lesson. Some teachers develop a "Peer Evaluation Form" that students must fill out while observing other students. This approach works well in nn-lab courses when students are doing presentations. 75 - 80% of a student's grade can be from that student's presentation while the remaining percentage can be from the student's evaluations of classmates.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I am a Conceptual Sketching for Interior Design instructor, with older graduate students and younger undergraduates in the same class. One technique used in my classroom is to have team projects, matching a younger and older student together. This is an effective strategy for certain projects, however it falls apart when a team member is not dedicated - usually these are the younger students.

James,

Thanks for the post. The difference between baby boomers, Generation X and Millenials can create barriers to communication aas they tend to value different things. It might be worth talking about this with your students before the next group project.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I feel once you get to know all of your student different learning styles you learn to use different teaching methods and it makes teaching fun.

Cynthia,

Thank you for this post. Mixing things up is a good way to reach a good deal of our students. What are some specific things you do to learn your students. learning styles?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have found in teaching that the more one has the students participate in presenting to the class in a way they preceive as 'fun' the more learning that will happen with the whole class. Especially if each student is participating in a specific scenario. Role playing is always fun and students with go to great lengths to prepare for the skits. Others pay close attention and learning becomes a fun experience.

Kathryn,

Making school seem like play works quite well. Primary school teachers have done this for a long time.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree, teaching should be fun! I've been teaching for 16 years and find that each group of students are different in their learning styles as well as their age and motivations. It's important to incorporate all the learning styles while teaching. It keeps the students interested as well as making it fun to learn.

Leslie,

I have always said that the best thing about being a teacher is the ability to keep one's job from being boring.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Most of my teaching hours are spent in a clinical setting. My students range in age from 21 to 45 w/varying levels of experience in this specific field. I've found that sometimes delegating demos out to more experienced students, not only takes some of the load off (when there is a large class size), but it gives the other students some real life perspective from the other demonstrator. I think they are more apt to converse more openly with a classmate than with the instructor. When their classmates ask them questions or ask them to demo, they do it so naturally, as opposed to when the instructor asks them to do the same. They tense up and all of a sudden, they react as if they are on stage and don't know any lines. So, I've found that having them work in groups/pairs allows them to feel more comfortable.

Stefanie,

Most students are able to function in small groups without feeling the stress some students feel when asked to speak in front of what they perceive as a large group.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment