Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Graphic Organizers

Graphs are great when used to highlight how the different aspects of a subject relate to each other. However, over use of them defeats the purpose.

Pattara,
They help the students to get a pictorial idea of a concept that is being taught. You are right about your caution of overusing them to the point they have little or no value.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

There are times, when I'm in a lecture audience, that graphs/graphic organizers really help me understand information. I think these tangible teaching aids help to glue a relevant point to the minds of the learners.

Have never used them but I think they would apply very well to what I teach. It would definitely help the students grasp and then apply it.

Since there are many graphic organizers available.e.g. Powerpoint, Word , it can help to understand a process, cause/effect, sequence, hierarchy or some other intangible concept.

Kassy,
These tools are readily available so we need to be familiar with them and show our students how to use them. Our students will be grateful for having these additional tools to use.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to use flow charts when teaching about diagnosing; it really helps the students identify the relationships between things.

Andrew,
Good strategy. This approach helps the students to get a visual picture of what they are learning and how all of the components fit together.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Graphics also appeal to the many different types of learners out there. Visual learners will pick up information immediately and retain it well. However, as stated by another discussion member, over-use of graphics will defeat the purpose of highlighting important information. On the other hand, though, visual and even kinesthetic learners will absorb any information presented in stimulating layouts rather than text-only.

Sign In to comment