Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

pretest

I feel a pretest will help me understand where the students are before i start my lesson plan

Hi Frank,
I like to use pretests as well. They help me to understand what my students are bringing into the classroom. Then I can plan from instructional content from there.
Gary

A pretest is a great way for the teacher to asess where the students are in their knowledge.It can also help the student to see what they don't know and realise how important it is to learn the information they are being taught.

Hi Wilmer,
I agree on pretesting. I use it in my classes as well. The results let me customize my instruction to the needs of the current students.
Gary

I use pretest results to help in the selection of lab groups. Placing students of similar level together helps them stay focused.

Hi Albert,
I like to use pretesting as well. It really helps me to get a picture of my students and how I can plan instruction to meet their needs.
Gary

In our classroom we have the students prepare a production schedule based on all the dishes that they're preparing for the day. We tell them to analyze which dishes takes the longest and how they will maximize their time to execute that day production. The students who does the work are always on time while the others who have a poor production schedule will have issues and will always have an ingredient missing or the method of preparation is wrong. I like this pretest concept, especially when it comes to an exam.

this is a great way to determine if students are understanding and retainning the infomation. it makes them better and as well us as instructors

Hi Peter,
I agree. I use pretesting in my courses and it really helps develop the instructional level my students need. This way we get a good start on the course since I know what experience they are bringing into the class.
Gary

I like to use a pretest/posttest method. Pretest lets you know what the students are bringing to the classroom, and allows you to prepare your lecture accordingly.

A posttest allows you to see if the information you relayed was received in a manner that is refelcted in the student passing the posttest and being able to continually pull that information up during the other reveiw sessions and on future exams.

I have used pretests that I didn't even collect. I had the students work on it and then we went over it. I could tell by their reactions which questions they got wrong, but it eliminated their fear of the pretest...they didn't have to worry about their grade or what I would think of their results.

Hi Jo Ann,
I like the way you are using your pretest. It is an eye opener for the students but is non-threatening as well.
Gary

We have a pre-test in first elecrtrical course in ford fact it works well.

I love pre tests. I use them for every class I teach, especially pharmacy calculations. Most students claimed to have done the material, but most don't remember how.
When I first started, I would ask. That didn't give great results, but the pre testing did.

I have used pre-tests in the past to select lab partners, and to see how much extra work in any was needed on certain topics. I informed the students that it was not graded and would not effect their grades.It turned out it was also a great way for the students and I to evaluate how much the learned from their web based training.

I agree a pretest will help to find what ifo the students have retained and what I need to go over with them again

Hi John,
I am a big fan and user of pretests as well. I get results like you mention and that really helps me to customize the content for that group of students.
Gary

I believe that pretest are very helpful in not onlt determining where the student is but if done right it can show aeras of weakness that need to be addressed before going on to new material.

Hi Henry,
I use pretesting in my courses and really like the results I get as well. By knowing where my students are I can better target my instruction to make sure I am meeting their needs.
Gary

I think pretest can help can a feel where to start and how fast you will be able to through chapters. It also helps you split up groups so the stronger students can help the ones who might have trouble with the work.

Sign In to comment