Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reaching a classroom of multiple intelligences

I introduce a new topic using guided note taking,then I use a PowerPoint Presentation to make sure the students get the main points and to reach the visual learners;then I use role playing if possible to act out the situation; and finally I ask a students to paraphase the presentation. Sometimes I give each student an envelop at the beginning of class. They are not to look in the envelop before or during the lecture. After the lecture we review the lecture using the preset questions. This has worked very well because the students do not know what their question will be therefore they have to pay close attention in order to be able to answer their questions. If they miss their questions they must find the answer in the textbook.

Mary Jane,
Thank you for the endorsement for guided notes and how they help your students to follow the PPs and zero in on the key concepts. I really like your question strategy because just as you say they have to stay on point to make sure they will be able to answer their question when they open the envelop. I would also think this is a fun activity because of the mystery element related to wondering what each student's question might be.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I use roll playing and different things, that everyone have used or done to bring a understand to types of leaner so that everyone can relate

Robbie,
I use role playing as well case studies to reinforce the course content. My students really like it when I use these activities.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The first thing i do is make the students read a chapter to see what they can obtain form the chapter. Then i use powerpoints and visuals to go over the chapter, and then i do questions and answers to see what they have totally retained from that point.

I studied Howard Gardner's work in my graduate studies and found most of it fascinating. Ialmost always use some sort of mi assessment at the beginning of the course. This helps me decide how to approach some of the more difficult parts of my curriculum. I think it helps to know students better and tailor the activities to the ways they learn best.

Claudia,
I have spent many years of my life researching how individuals intake and then process information using Dr. Gardner's intelligence work as a foundation. The result is I have been able to develop an assessment instrument (Talent Key) that shows individuals what their three dominant intelligences are and how they process information within those intelligences. As you say the more we know in this area the more accurately we can plan our instruction to be student centered. Keep up your good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I will introduce a new skill by lecturing first on the subject, guided with a power point presentation. Once my lecture is complete, I will then ask my students if they have any questions. The next step for me is to gather all materials and equipment needed to demonstrate the skill. Then have the students to reproduce the new skill and for them to practice the skill until they feel comfortable performing it.

Corliss,
Good plan. You are using the different senses and memory areas of your students so they can see how they can take the content and apply it. This greatly enhances their retention of the content as well as helps them to see application and relevancy to what is being taught.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Similar to you Corliss, I introduce a new skill by discussion and information sharing simultaneously wit a power point. I am a very visual learner and find that I teach how I learn - with a lot of pictures and diagrams. I like the guided notes idea - I have notes but have used them as homework to be completed before class in hopes that the students read the chapter ahead of time. It has been a challenge

I really like your clever method of teaching and testing knowledge after a lecture. This method gives students a unique way of displaying how well they learned the material. These methods will also reach some students with various learning styles.

As a vocational instructor, I deal with many of the Type 4 Learners (monkey see monkey do).

I try to instill the thinking process of the what, why and how's of the project so the student develops an understanding of the project (job) as opposed to just "doing it".

I often ask my students to review the service manual before asking questions, sometimes their questions are anwered after their research. I want to see the student put forth the effort to seek out the answer to follow the path to gain greater understanding.

Then if all else fails, here, let me show how to do it and I hope you have a good memory to remember how it is done.

Darrell,
I like your method of getting them to first research and think for themselves. This is an important part of their career growth. Having you there as back up gives them confidence that if they can't come up with the needed solution you can step in and help them out so they will learn from the experience.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I deal with many students who also fall into these categories. So, I always start at top level and ask questions to get the wheels rolling. Why do we do this? What will this matter to you? Once they are engaged, then I can start using discussion and powerpoint to bring home the ideas in a different manner.

Rich,
Good way to ease into the topic and help each student to feel a part of the class. Your is a building model that is easy to follow and understand by the students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One of the most challenging topics included in my curriculum is culinary math. Fortunately, the kitchen is our classroom, so when guiding students through this topic i can use measuring cups and teaspoons to help teach. On top of that, i explain several different ways to find the same answers to certain measurement conversions.

Lauren,
Good ideas about how to show your students the practical applications that can be made with math in a culinary setting. These connections are what are going to keep their interest and help them to make application of the math concepts.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment