Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Annimation

I am very animated when I teach. This allows the students to creatively file the information I am teaching into long-term memory. They can retrieve information by associating it with whatever "crazy" thing I did while teaching it.
Did I mention they are having fun learning!?!

Timothy,
Go for animation! I am such a teacher myself and so I can appreciate your comments in relation to how such antics engage the students as well as help them see how learning can be fun.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I can understand how this works well for you. You are engaging all of the senses, so that for those students who must "see" something to understand, they can remember what you did. Those who are listeners will have the ability to recall your voice while envisioning your concept.

I feel the same way. Being animated is a great way to engage the students with the material and break the monotony of just listening to the professor read off of slides.

I also like to add stories to my lectures. When I teach anatomy I like to be animated, but I also try to create a narrative, using the various organs and systems as characters to create a plot which demonstrates their interactions. I find that students remember the stories a lot easier than just raw facts.

I have often been told that when you are teaching you are "on stage". I myself have had instructors who bore the class with constant monotone lectures, and instructors who are actively engaging and lively throughout the class. My students know when I am having an "off" day because they can tell by how I conduct my lectures/discussion. I know I need to step it up when I receive comments like that because I know my communication with my students is lacking and they are the ones suffering.

Anthony,
I had a professor much like yourself in my pre-vet class and he was such an engaging instructor as a result of his animation and energy so I can appreciate the effort you are putting forth to gain the attention of your students. Keep up the good work I know your students appreciate your passion for the content and enthusiasm about sharing it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Shannon,
Good point about the fact we need to bring our A game to the class each and every time it meets. This is hard to do sometimes because we are human and have our own challenges in life. We have to rise above all of them and keep ourselves focused on why we are there and that is to be student centered with our instruction.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to use "real-world" industry examples to reinforce the material that is being taught to the students. I've had students come up to me after class and state that they understand the material better and the "stage presence" of the story helped them a lot.

Andre,
This is an integral and essential part of instruction if students are going to get a realistic understanding of their field. They need to know what they are going to face when they enter the field and why it is important to learn the content of the course they are in at the present time. This gives them professional perspective.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think it is great to be animated and agree that it helps students retain material. It helps build memories that relate to their studies in a fun way. Sometimes the students do not even realize they are learning so much!!

Jeannette,
Enthusiasm and passion for one's field really helps to "sell" the content. You are showing your students you are the learning leader by being animated and excited about what you teach.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also have a lot of fun and am animated and in teaching computer programs I physically act out what that command key or function does. They the students have a memory of me jumping across the room, what that means, and what function key does it.

Jenni,
Wish I had had you as an instructor when I was taking my computer courses. Talk about boring! Sounds like you have a lot of fun sharing your content while helping your students to retain the new content. Keep up the "edutainment".
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

it was nice to read everyone's comment's. It gave me a sense of relief that i am using method's that work.Showing personality and enthusiasm's alway's seems to be a good motivater.

Wendy,
Glad you got good insight from the posted comments. I wish you continued teaching success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It works to a point, provided you're not so animated that the "medium" becomes the "message." But it's certainly better than some of the You Tube videos I've seen, where interesting material is presented by a person droning on before a white board.

Richard,
Well said. Instructional delivery needs to be engaging and informative. There is a balance there and with experience it will become plain to see what that balance is and how to maintain it while getting your content across.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I use alot of animation in my classroom. I teach nutrition and mental health so animation helps me .

I am very animated in my teaching style. I belive that if we show a great interest and high energy approach it will keep the learners more involved in the course. I also try to use a bunch of analogies to refrence the things being taught so they will better understand. (superballs being like electrons and such) I want to have the student want to see what is coming next.

Richard,
Sounds like an engaging and fun class as a result of the animation you bring to the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment