Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowing your personality

Twenty plus years ago when I started teaching I had a flat affect. I was shy back then and scared to be in front of a crowd.  Being a psychiatric nurse I had a standard affect for the different type of behavioral challenges we encounter as well as an affect when standing on the bus stop in a bad part of the city.  Fast forward, I secured a full time position as a psychiatric instruct at a community college.  They put us through rigorous requirements over 5 years to dig deep into introspection, reflection and getting feedback from peers on your instructional approaches.  After securing my Phd I secured a position in a university setting, where another battery of educational opportunities on effective teaching, videotaping lectures for self-evaluations and peer evaluations.  

The challeng was I always had a flat affect since a baby.  I had to work hard on improving my facial affect which I did.  One day I saw myself in the mirrow and scared myself.  I said on my this is what people see.  Fast forward I am full of smiles now.  I share this to say it is important to self reflect, take the critical feedback and adapt.  I am now confident and secure and know how to use my affect to effect positive change. 

Ora Robinson

Sign In to comment